Finding points on root-locus by hand

In summary, the conversation discusses solving a problem involving transfer functions by hand and the differences between two transfer functions. The solution involves using the angle condition and brute forcing to find the correct answer.
Jacer2

Homework Statement

[/B]
1.PNG

2.PNG

I am trying to answer two questions:

1. Solve part (b) in the image above by hand.

2. What are the differences between transfer function (a) and transfer function (b).

Homework Equations

cos(Im(s) / Re(s)) = ζ

The Attempt at a Solution

1. For part one given the damp I know that cos-1(ζ) = 45. Thus the magnitude of the real and imaginary parts of the root has to be the same. However I can't seem to think of a way to do this by hand. I can plot the root locus in Matlab.

Once I find the root locus I know I can find K by using:
[tex]K = \frac{|denominator \quad of \quad tf|}{|numerator \quad of \quad tf|} [/tex]2. The transfer functions are [tex]K = \frac{KGH}{1+KGH} [/tex] and [tex]K = \frac{KG}{1+KGH} [/tex] . Besides a different output response would the root locus and bode plots of the both transfer functions be the same?

Physics news on Phys.org
The only solution I could think of is using the angle condition:

The phase should all add up to 180 degrees + a multiple of 360:
SInce the damping results in a 45 degree angle, the real and imaginary parts of s are the same. Thus:
[tex]s = -x + xj [/tex]

I can then apply the angle criterion by getting the phase of each pole:
[tex]\sum\angle(zeroes) - \sum\angle(poles) = 180 \pm 360*n[/tex]
[tex]-2*tan^{-1}(\frac{x}{-x+2})-tan^{-1}(\frac{x}{-x+4})-tan^{-1}(\frac{x}{-x+1}) = 180[/tex]

I had to brute force and solve this in my calculator and got x = 2.203. I had to then try setting the equation equal to -180 as opposed to 180:
[tex]-2*tan^{-1}(\frac{x}{-x+2})-tan^{-1}(\frac{x}{-x+4})-tan^{-1}(\frac{x}{-x+1}) = -180[/tex]
and got x = .907672 which is the right answer.

Is there a better way to do this without numerically solving it?

Last edited:

What is a root-locus plot?

A root-locus plot is a graphical representation of the closed-loop poles of a system as a function of a parameter (such as a gain or a controller parameter). It is used to analyze the stability of a control system and to determine the values of the parameter that will result in a stable system.

What is the purpose of finding points on a root-locus by hand?

Finding points on a root-locus by hand allows for a better understanding of the behavior of a control system. It also helps in the design and tuning of a controller to achieve desired system performance.

What are the steps for finding points on a root-locus by hand?

The steps for finding points on a root-locus by hand include: identifying the open-loop transfer function, determining the characteristic equation, plotting the root-locus, identifying the asymptotes and breakaway points, and finding the points of interest by solving the characteristic equation.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when finding points on a root-locus by hand?

Some common mistakes to avoid include: incorrect identification of the open-loop transfer function, incorrect plotting of the root-locus, and errors in solving the characteristic equation. It is important to double check all calculations and to understand the concepts behind each step to avoid mistakes.

Can software be used to find points on a root-locus?

Yes, there are various software tools available that can help with finding points on a root-locus. However, it is still important to have a solid understanding of the manual process to verify the results and to troubleshoot any issues that may arise.