Nonhomogeneous second order linear differential equations

In summary, the student is trying to find a particular solution to an equation but is having difficulty with the step shown.
Ortix

Homework Statement

i'm supposed to find the general solution of the equation: y'' + 3y' + 2y = e^x + e^-x

Homework Equations

I have no problem with solving this equation however, i am confused with the step they are taking in the solutions (circled):
http://img522.imageshack.us/img522/7122/calcwtf.jpg

Where does that x come from next to the B? I have been looking in my book, but there is no example with this kind of solution (right hand side)

The Attempt at a Solution

i got up to the auxiliary equation and i get stuck with finding the particular solution. I'm not sure what to do here... For single variable and products as the solution i have no problem.. the addition is no biggie either (i just separate them) but the step shown above just throws me off.

help is obviously very much appreciated! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Ortix! :smile:

(try using the X2 icon just above the Reply box :wink:)
Ortix said:
y'' + 3y' + 2y = e^x + e^-x

Where does that x come from next to the B?

As you obviously know, when ekx is on the RHS, you generally try a multiple of it as part of a particular solution.

however, in this case, the fact that ekx (with k = -1) is already a solution to the LHS means that it can't work …

in this case, we "go up one" and use xekx instead

(and if k was an nth root for the LHS, we'd use xnekx :wink:)

It is a part of a system called "Method of undetermined coefficients" for finding a particular solution for a constant coefficient linear ODE.

Read it thorough and you will know that the template is the correct template for finding a particular solution to that ODE.

i'm still not TOO clear about this.. i will follow up on gomunkul51's suggestion and read about that. I found it in my book. If i experience more difficulties, I shall return to the land of the smart =).. next year tho!

Happy new year everyone, I'm out to celebrate!

Related to Nonhomogeneous second order linear differential equations

What is a nonhomogeneous second order linear differential equation?

A nonhomogeneous second order linear differential equation is a type of differential equation that involves a function, its first and second derivatives, and a non-zero function on the right side of the equation. It can be written in the form y'' + p(x)y' + q(x)y = g(x), where p(x) and q(x) are coefficients and g(x) is the non-zero function.

What is the difference between a homogeneous and nonhomogeneous second order linear differential equation?

A homogeneous second order linear differential equation does not have a non-zero function on the right side of the equation, while a nonhomogeneous equation does. This means that the solution to a homogeneous equation will only contain a combination of the function and its derivatives, while the solution to a nonhomogeneous equation will also contain a particular solution that satisfies the non-zero function on the right side.

How do you solve a nonhomogeneous second order linear differential equation?

To solve a nonhomogeneous second order linear differential equation, you first need to find the general solution to the corresponding homogeneous equation. Then, you can use the method of undetermined coefficients or variation of parameters to find a particular solution that satisfies the non-zero function on the right side. The general solution and particular solution can then be added together to get the complete solution to the nonhomogeneous equation.

What is the method of undetermined coefficients?

The method of undetermined coefficients is a technique used to find a particular solution to a nonhomogeneous second order linear differential equation. It involves guessing a solution that is similar in form to the non-zero function on the right side of the equation, and then solving for the coefficients in the guess using the equation. This method only works for certain types of non-zero functions, such as polynomials, exponentials, and trigonometric functions.

When should variation of parameters be used to solve a nonhomogeneous second order linear differential equation?

Variation of parameters should be used when the non-zero function on the right side of the equation is not in a form that can be easily guessed using the method of undetermined coefficients. This method involves finding a particular solution by integrating a set of functions that are linearly independent with the general solution to the corresponding homogeneous equation. It can be used for any type of non-zero function on the right side of the equation.