Nonlinear differential equation issue

In summary, the equation is a nonlinear differential equation with an integrating factor, and it should be easy to solve once the substitution is made.
Fooze

Homework Statement

This is just a nonlinear differential equation. All I have to do it solve it, though it is an initial value problem as well.

2*y*y' + y^{2} = t

Initial value:

y(0) = -1.

The Attempt at a Solution

This should be easy, but it doesn't seem easily separable to me. If you try separating it, then you end up with a integral of y^{2}dt, which doesn't seem right to me at all.

Maybe I'm missing something very fundamental?

And how do you get the Latex stuff to show up right? (sorry I'm new to trying to do Latex on a forum)

Thanks for any assistance. I know what I'm doing, I think, once I get started...

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi Fooze! Welcome to PF! :smile:

(try using the X2 tag just above the Reply box :wink:)
Fooze said:
2*y*y' + y^{2} = t

Hint: do you notice something about the lhs?

try a substitution :wink:

I haven't tried it yet on paper (don't have any handy for another 45 minutes or so) but should I be thinking like a u(t) = y(t)2?

That will leave me with a u' + u = t, I think? Then it's linear and really easy with an integrating factor. Is that the right thought?

Fooze said:
I haven't tried it yet on paper (don't have any handy for another 45 minutes or so) but should I be thinking like a u(t) = y(t)2?

That will leave me with a u' + u = t, I think? Then it's linear and really easy with an integrating factor. Is that the right thought?

Yup! :biggrin:

erm … can't you solve that in your head? :wink:

I don't trust myself at all solving integrating factor problems in my head. I had issues in the beginning of the semester with them... and it's just recently that I've been able to do them properly at all. ;)

But thanks so much for your help... I should be able to get it from there!

Related to Nonlinear differential equation issue

1. What is a nonlinear differential equation?

A nonlinear differential equation is a mathematical equation that involves a dependent variable and its derivatives, where the derivatives are not proportional to the dependent variable. This means that the equation cannot be solved using basic algebraic methods and may have complex solutions.

2. How are nonlinear differential equations different from linear differential equations?

Nonlinear differential equations differ from linear differential equations in that the derivatives in a linear equation are proportional to the dependent variable, making it easier to solve. Nonlinear equations can have more complex behaviors and require more advanced mathematical techniques to solve.

3. What are some real-world applications of nonlinear differential equations?

Nonlinear differential equations are used to model a wide range of phenomena in various fields, such as physics, engineering, biology, and economics. Some examples include modeling population growth, chemical reactions, fluid dynamics, and electrical circuits.

4. How are nonlinear differential equations solved?

Nonlinear differential equations can be solved using various methods such as numerical methods, perturbation methods, and series solutions. Some equations may also have exact analytical solutions, but these are rare and often require advanced mathematical techniques.

5. What are the challenges of working with nonlinear differential equations?

One of the main challenges of working with nonlinear differential equations is that they often do not have explicit solutions, making it difficult to predict their behavior. This can also make it challenging to analyze and interpret the results of the solution. Additionally, solving nonlinear differential equations can be computationally intensive and time-consuming.