Nonlinearity of GR equations

• Thread starter hilbert2
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gr
In summary, the gravitational field equation differs from other fields because of its nonlinearity, which is necessary for covariant energy conservation. This nonlinearity is only significant in extreme situations such as near a black hole, and can be approximated with a linearized field equation in most situations. The nonlinearity is also related to the lack of a local energy tensor for the gravitational field. Additionally, the QCD field equations are also nonlinear due to the interaction of gluons with each other, but this does not affect the quantization of QCD at low energies.
hilbert2
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
Most of the fundamental equations of nature happen to be *linear* partial differential equations... This includes Maxwell equations and the Dirac equation (don't know about QCD field eqs).

On the other hand, the gravitational field equation of general relativity is a nonlinear PDE. As far as I know, the nonlinear behavior is significant only in extreme situations, like near a black hole. In most situation one can approximate with a linearized field equation.

Is there any easily explained reason why gravitational field should differ from other fields in this respect? Does the difficulty of quantizing gravity have anything to do with this nonlinearity? Can gravitational field exhibit chaotic behavior like many other systems governed by nonlinear PDE:s (turbulence in Navier-Stokes flow, for example).

Physics news on Phys.org
The Yang-Mills equations for QCD are also nonlinear, but QCD has a UV complete quantization.

Formally, the nonlinearity of the gravitational field equations are enforced by requiring covariant energy conservation. Heuristically, the gravitational field is a "source" for itself. However, because the gravitational field does not have a local energy tensor, this concept shows up in the nonlinearity of the vacuum equations.

I think the "mixmaster" solutions are chaotic.

Last edited:
hilbert2 said:
Most of the fundamental equations of nature happen to be *linear* partial differential equations... This includes Maxwell equations and the Dirac equation (don't know about QCD field eqs).
This is only true for free fields. As soon as you include any interaction the equation(s) become nonlinear.

hilbert2 said:
On the other hand, the gravitational field equation of general relativity is a nonlinear PDE. As far as I know, the nonlinear behavior is significant only in extreme situations, like near a black hole. In most situation one can approximate with a linearized field equation.
GR requires the source be conserved. Linearized GR cannot affect the sources. As soon as you consider the action of the field on its sources, nonlinear GR becomes necessary. Such as in cosmology (and I don't mean just the big bang.)

Thanks for the responses. So, if I have understood correctly, the gravitational field has an associated energy density and therefore it itself acts as a source of gravity. So this is what makes the equation nonlinear.

hilbert2 said:
Thanks for the responses. So, if I have understood correctly, the gravitational field has an associated energy density and therefore it itself acts as a source of gravity. So this is what makes the equation nonlinear.

No, I meant that usually we consider that source of the gravitational field to be the stress-energy tensor of matter. Since gravity does not have a stress-energy tensor, in order for it to act similarly to a "source" for itself, its equations have to nonlinear, ie. in the absence of matter, there are vacuum solutions to the equations with curved spacetime.

I think I'll have to read my GR textbook (Ohanian&Ruffini) a bit more before I understand this better, but thanks anyway...

As a related question, are the QCD field eqs nonlinear because gluons interact with each other?

I can't recall of Ohanion goes into the problems involved with the local energy density of the gravitational field and the relation to non-linearity but Wald certainly goes into this, as well as d'inverno, and MTW goes a great deal into this. I can't answer your related question (my knowledge of QFT is cute at best) so sorry about that :frown:

hilbert2 said:
As a related question, are the QCD field eqs nonlinear because gluons interact with each other?

Yes. Actually, Carroll draw the analogy between graviton-graviton scattering and QCD in http://ned.ipac.caltech.edu/level5/March01/Carroll3/Carroll4.html (see the bottom of the section).

Just a note regarding quantization of gravity. Gravity can be quantized, and it works, but only far below the Planck energy. In this respect, quantum GR is like quantum electrodynamics in that both theories fail at high energies. The energies at which quantum GR and QED fail are much higher than any experiments we do on earth, so it doesn't matter. The quantum corrections to classical gravity are believed to be very small at low energies, which explains why we can use classical GR. (I believe the graviton-graviton scattering part of the theory is unreliable, which is why Carroll mentions he shouldn't really draw them, but am not sure about this point.) This treatment of quantum GR is called the effective field theory treatment of quantum gravity

Last edited:

What is nonlinearity in GR equations?

Nonlinearity in GR equations refers to the fact that the equations of general relativity are nonlinear, meaning that the solutions to these equations cannot be obtained by simply adding together the solutions to smaller, simpler equations. This nonlinearity is a result of the way gravity is described in general relativity, which takes into account the curvature of spacetime caused by massive objects.

Why is nonlinearity important in GR equations?

Nonlinearity is important in GR equations because it allows for the formation of complex structures, such as black holes and gravitational waves, which cannot be described by linear equations. It also allows for the theory to be consistent with experimental observations, such as the bending of light by massive objects and the precession of Mercury's orbit.

How does nonlinearity affect the solutions to GR equations?

The nonlinearity of GR equations results in solutions that can be highly sensitive to initial conditions and can exhibit chaotic behavior. This means that small changes in the initial conditions can lead to dramatically different outcomes, making it difficult to predict the behavior of systems described by GR equations.

Can nonlinearity be incorporated into other theories of physics?

Yes, nonlinearity can be incorporated into other theories of physics, such as quantum mechanics and electromagnetism. In fact, the combination of GR with quantum mechanics is a major goal of modern physics, as it would allow for a more complete understanding of the fundamental forces of nature.

Are there any attempts to modify GR equations to remove nonlinearity?

Yes, there have been attempts to modify GR equations to remove nonlinearity, such as in theories like modified gravity or string theory. However, these modifications have not yet been proven to be consistent with all experimental observations and remain areas of active research in theoretical physics.