Nonuniform Circular Motion: Old-Fashioned Amusement Park Ride

In summary, the conversation is about a problem involving an old-fashioned amusement park ride where passengers stand inside a rotating steel cylinder and the floor suddenly drops away. The question is what is the minimum angular speed for which the ride is safe, given the range of coefficients of friction between clothing and steel and a weight limit for passengers. The conversation also includes equations and diagrams being used to solve the problem.
Go Boom Now
Sorry for having my first post be a question, I guess. I'm just confused as to how to do this since I've never really been one for word problems. I can't really type in... tex(?) either. Oh well, here we go:

Homework Statement

In an old-fashioned amusement park ride, passengers stand inside a 5.0-m-diameter hollow steel cylinder with their backs against the wall. The cylinder begins to rotate about a vertical axis. The the floor on which the passengers are standing on suddenly drops away! If all goes well, the passengers will "stick" to the wall and not slide. Clothing has a static coefficient of friction against steel in the range of 0.60 to 1.0 and kinetic coefficient of friction in the range of 0.40 to 0.70. A sign next to the entrance says "No children under 30kg allowed." What is the minimum angular speed, in RPM, for which the ride is safe?

Homework Equations

Kinetic Friction Force = Coefficient of Kinetic Friction x Normal Force
Static Friction Force = Coefficient of Static Friction x Normal force
F-net = mass x acceleration = (mass x (tangential velocity^2)/radius
Tangential Velocity = (2pi x radius)/period = angular velocity x radius

The Attempt at a Solution

Check the attachment. I was following the steps my teacher outlined (FBD in r, t, z components, net force equations, solve). I'm not sure if my diagrams or FBD are correct though because the people are also involved... do I just bundle them up in the steel cylinder?

Sorry, I'm just confused.

Attachments

• IMG_4726.jpg
    IMG_4726.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 1,026
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi Go Boom Now! Welcome to PF! :smile:
Go Boom Now said:
Sorry for having my first post be a question …

That's normal! :biggrin:
F-net = mass x acceleration = (mass x (tangential velocity^2)/radius
Tangential Velocity = (2pi x radius)/period = angular velocity x radius

Check the attachment. I was following the steps my teacher outlined (FBD in r, t, z components, net force equations, solve). I'm not sure if my diagrams or FBD are correct though because the people are also involved... do I just bundle them up in the steel cylinder?

yes, centripetal acceleration = v2/r = ω2r (even if ω isn't constant)

your only body for a free body diagram is the person, so i don't understand what you mean about including them in the cylinder :confused:

your diagrams, and your z equation, look ok

your x equation (i think you know) is normal force = mass times centripetal acceleration (and that's where you start)

what is worrying you about that? :smile:

I drew the wrong kind of diagram (I misinterpreted the question), which is why I ended up getting confused. I managed to figure it out after I read your post. Thanks for the help!

1. What is nonuniform circular motion?

Nonuniform circular motion is the movement of an object along a circular path at varying speeds. This means that the object is changing its velocity as it moves around the circle, either by speeding up or slowing down.

2. How does an old-fashioned amusement park ride demonstrate nonuniform circular motion?

An old-fashioned amusement park ride, such as a carousel or Ferris wheel, demonstrates nonuniform circular motion because the riders are moving along a circular path at varying speeds. As the ride spins, the riders experience changes in velocity, causing them to speed up or slow down.

3. What factors affect the speed of an object in nonuniform circular motion?

The speed of an object in nonuniform circular motion is affected by the radius of the circular path, the magnitude of the centripetal force, and the mass of the object. The greater the radius and centripetal force, the faster the object will move. A larger mass will also result in a slower speed.

4. How is nonuniform circular motion different from uniform circular motion?

In uniform circular motion, the object moves at a constant speed along a circular path. This means that the object's velocity remains the same throughout the motion. In nonuniform circular motion, the object's velocity changes, either by speeding up or slowing down, as it moves along the circular path.

5. What is the role of centripetal force in nonuniform circular motion?

Centripetal force is necessary for an object to maintain nonuniform circular motion. It is the force that acts towards the center of the circular path and keeps the object moving along the path. Without this force, the object would continue to move in a straight line instead of a circular path.