Circular Motion and Static Friction Problem The Wall of Death ride

In summary, the problem involves a fairground ride called "The Wall of Death" where passengers feel pinned to the wall due to circular motion. The ride slows down at a rate of 0.400 revolutions per second and the coefficient of static friction between the wall and passengers' backs needs to be calculated. The tangential velocity was found to be 8.17m/s and the force of friction was also calculated to be 8.17N. However, the mass of the passengers is not needed in the calculation as it will cancel out in the equation for static friction and centripetal force.
jklops686
Circular Motion and Static Friction Problem.. "The Wall of Death" ride

Homework Statement

A fairground ride called "The Wall of Death" consists of a cylindrical
container of internal diameter 6.50m, mounted on a cylindrical axis.
The passengers feel as if they are being pushed against the wall as the container
begins to rotate. Eventually, the floor is lowered, leaving the miserable passengers
pinned to the wall, apparently defying gravity. When the ride slows down, the
passengers just begin to slide down the wall when they are rotating at 0.400
revolutions per second. Calculate the coefficient of static friction between the wall
and the passengers' backs.

Homework Equations

max static friction=coefficient*normal force?

v= 2pi*r/T

The Attempt at a Solution

I calculated how long it takes to go around in one second (period T) .4x=1 So, 1 rev=2.5 seconds. Now that I have T I also calculated the tangential velocity using the equation above and got 8.17m/s. I think the friction force would be set up as v-f=0 (used free body diagram...tangential velocity and friction cancel out to equal zero?) Which would mean force of friction is 8.17 too. I'm not sure if this is correct, but anyways, i don't know how to find the coefficient of static friction. I would think you would need to know the mass of the person.

Physics news on Phys.org
Balance the centripetal force with the force of static friction. Don't need mass.

rude man said:
Balance the centripetal force with the force of static friction. Don't need mass.

how do I do that? Doesn't the equation for static friction need mass to find normal force?

jklops686 said:
Doesn't the equation for static friction need mass to find normal force?
Yes, but it doesn't matter what the mass is for this question. Just write it as 'm'. It will cancel out.

jklops686 said:
how do I do that? Doesn't the equation for static friction need mass to find normal force?

Well, yes, but so does the expression for centripetal force. If you're really lucky they might cancel each other out ... :smile:

1. What is circular motion?

Circular motion is the movement of an object along a circular path. This path can be either uniform, where the object moves at a constant speed, or non-uniform, where the object's speed changes throughout the motion.

2. How does circular motion relate to the Wall of Death ride?

The Wall of Death ride is a circular carnival ride where participants ride motorcycles along the walls of a cylindrical structure. The circular path of the motorcycles and the forces acting on them create the experience of circular motion for the riders.

3. What is static friction?

Static friction is the force that prevents two surfaces from sliding against each other when there is no relative movement between them. This force is generated due to the roughness of the surfaces and the interlocking of their microscopic features.

4. How does static friction affect the Wall of Death ride?

In the Wall of Death ride, static friction plays a crucial role in keeping the motorcycles and riders on the walls of the cylindrical structure. The friction between the tires of the motorcycles and the walls of the structure provides the necessary centripetal force to maintain the circular motion.

5. What factors can influence the static friction in the Wall of Death ride?

The amount of static friction in the Wall of Death ride can be influenced by factors such as the roughness of the walls and tires, the weight and speed of the motorcycles, and the angle of the walls. Additionally, external factors such as temperature and humidity can also affect the amount of static friction present.