Noob in the field -- problems making a solenoid....

In summary, the speaker and their friends attempted to make a solenoid using 22 gauge insulated wire and an old laptop charger as the power supply. However, after encountering issues with the solenoid's behavior, they are unsure if the charger could be the problem and are seeking advice on how to prevent shorting the output. Despite trying a 1.5ohms resistor in series, the solenoid still did not function properly. The speaker also mentions that based on their calculations, the charger needs to have at least a 6 Ohms load or 120 feet of 22 gauge wire.
Anugrah_kora
Hello.
Me and my friends planned to make a solenoid. We used 22 gauge insulated wire and we used an old laptop charger (19v 3.3A) as the power supply. Earlier we used a power supply of 1A and it wasn't enough. When we connected everything and switched on,we saw the solenoid behaving weirdly . We found out that it was changing the direction of the current flow causing it to act like this. I don't know if it is the charger..
Please can someone help me?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Could it be that the power supply has some circuitry which prevents shorting the output? Maybe you need to put a resistor in series with your solenoid.

scottdave said:
Could it be that the power supply has some circuitry which prevents shorting the output? Maybe you need to put a resistor in series with your solenoid.
Tried adding a 1.5ohms resistor in series but the solenoid ceased to function.. :(

What is the DC resistance of your solenoid? Based on your data the charger needs to have at least 19/3.3 = 6 Ohms load - or 120 feet of 22 Ga ( 22 ga = 0.05 Ohms per foot)...

Likes scottdave

1. What is a solenoid and how does it work?

A solenoid is a coil of wire that produces a magnetic field when an electric current is passed through it. The magnetic field created by the solenoid can be used to move or control objects, such as in an electric motor or door lock.

2. Why am I having trouble making a solenoid?

Making a solenoid can be challenging because it requires precise placement and winding of the wire, as well as a strong enough power source to create the necessary magnetic field. Additionally, the materials used and the size of the solenoid can also impact its effectiveness.

3. How can I improve the performance of my solenoid?

There are a few ways to improve the performance of a solenoid. First, ensure that the wire is tightly wound and evenly spaced. Using a stronger power source or increasing the number of turns in the coil can also increase the strength of the magnetic field. Using a ferromagnetic core, such as iron or steel, can also enhance the magnetic properties of the solenoid.

4. What are some common issues that can occur with a solenoid?

Some common issues with solenoids include overheating, insufficient magnetic field strength, and mechanical failures such as the wire becoming loose or breaking. These issues can often be addressed by adjusting the design and materials used, as well as ensuring proper electrical connections.

5. Are there any safety precautions I should take when working with solenoids?

Yes, it is important to use caution and follow safety guidelines when working with solenoids. Since they use electricity and can produce strong magnetic fields, make sure to use appropriate protective gear and handle the power source carefully. It is also important to follow proper wiring techniques and avoid overloading the solenoid.