Noob ques: probability of each J state

In summary, the conversation discusses the state of an electron with spin down in a hydrogen atom and the probability of different values of the total angular momentum squared. The first part involves using the eigenvalue of the operator J^2 to calculate the values, while the second part requires using the Clebsch-Gordan coefficients to find the probability of each state. The conversation ends with a confirmation that the method used was correct.
empirekhoo

Homework Statement

An electron with spin down is in a state of (n=5,l=1,ml=0) of hydrogen atom. If you could measure the total angular momentum squared of the electron, what values might you get, and what is the probability of each state.

Homework Equations

J^2 = j(j+1) * hbar^2 (i mean the eigenvalue of operator J^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

the first part is easy.
J^2 = .75 hbar^2, J^2 = 3.75 hbar^2

but I have no idea how to solve the second part (perhaps i forgot). Any idea/input is welcomed! was it insufficient information?

Physics news on Phys.org
You have a state that is

[tex]| \ell = 1, m_\ell = 0\rangle\otimes |s=\tfrac{1}{2}, m_s = - \tfrac{1}{2}\rangle.[/tex]

This state can be written in terms of the states [tex]|1,\tfrac{1}{2}, j,m_j\rangle[/tex] by using the Clebsch-Gordan coefficients.

fzero said:
You have a state that is

[tex]| \ell = 1, m_\ell = 0\rangle\otimes |s=\tfrac{1}{2}, m_s = - \tfrac{1}{2}\rangle.[/tex]

This state can be written in terms of the states [tex]|1,\tfrac{1}{2}, j,m_j\rangle[/tex] by using the Clebsch-Gordan coefficients.

Ah of course.. It wasn't taught in lecturer.. (disappointing)

Anyway I've looked into the CG table (for the first time) and I wonder was my method correct:

1. my table is alike last page of http://www3.tsl.uu.se/thep/courses/QM/061027-exam.pdf"

2. looking into 1 x 1/2, then on the 0, -1/2 row. I get:

3. sqrt(2/3) | 3/2, -1/2 > + sqrt(1/3) | 1/2, -1/2 >

4. am I right? or am I abusing the table? (I'll reply by saturday.. busy week)

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks good to me.

fzero said:
Looks good to me.

ah okay! thanks a bunch! I'll read on with direct product later when I'm free =)

Related to Noob ques: probability of each J state

What does "J state" refer to in probability calculations?

"J state" is a term used to describe a particular outcome or event in a probability calculation. It can refer to a specific value or range of values, such as the roll of a die or the outcome of a coin flip.

What is the probability of each J state?

The probability of each J state depends on the specific situation and the variables involved. In order to calculate the probability, you would need to know the total number of possible outcomes and the number of outcomes that result in the J state. The formula for probability is (number of favorable outcomes) / (total number of possible outcomes).

How do you determine the probability of each J state?

The probability of each J state can be determined using various mathematical techniques, such as combinatorics, permutations, and combinations. It is important to carefully define the J state and consider all possible outcomes in order to accurately calculate the probability.

Can the probability of each J state change over time?

Yes, the probability of each J state can change over time. This can occur due to various factors, such as changes in the variables involved or new information becoming available. It is important to continually reassess and update the probability calculations as new information arises.

What is the significance of knowing the probability of each J state?

Knowing the probability of each J state allows us to make informed decisions and predictions based on the likelihood of a particular outcome. It is a fundamental concept in many fields, including science, economics, and statistics, and is essential for understanding and analyzing various real-world scenarios.