Spin-orbit coupling for positronium

In summary, the homework statement is that the atom made of an electron and a positron has a Hamiltonian with spin-orbit coupling. The levels in which the 3d states are split are determined by the relative spin states of the positron and the electron.
Aleolomorfo

Homework Statement

Considering the atom made of an electron and a positron. The spin-orbit Hamiltonian is:
$$H=\frac{e^2}{4\nu^2c^2r^34\pi\epsilon_0}\vec{L}\cdot\vec{S}$$
with ##\vec{L}## the relative angular momentum, with ##\vec{S}## the total spin and ##\mu## the reduced mass. Finding the levels in which ##3d## states are split.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

First I show you the way I solved the problem.
$$\vec{J}=\vec{L}+\vec{S}$$
$$\vec{S}\cdot\vec{L} = \frac{J^2-L^2-S^2}{2}$$
So I can rewrite the Hamiltonian:
$$H=A(J^2-L^2-S^2)$$
with ##A## which is equal to al the constants. The splitting in energy is:
$$\Delta E = A\hbar^2 (J(J+1) - \frac{21}{4})$$
In the last step I put ##S=\frac{1}{2}## and ##L=2##. Then I calculate the possible ##J##'s:
$$|L-S|\le J \le L+S$$
So there is a double splitting with ##J=\frac{3}{2}## and ##J=\frac{5}{2}##.

I think the reasoning is right (isn't it?), but I have a question about the spin. I put ##S=\frac{1}{2}## automatically as in the hydrogen spin-orbit coupling. But why do I consider only the spin of the electron and not the total spin of the system, so the spin of the electron and the spin of the positron?

Physics news on Phys.org
Aleolomorfo said:
I think the reasoning is right (isn't it?), but I have a question about the spin. I put S=12S=12S=\frac{1}{2} automatically as in the hydrogen spin-orbit coupling. But why do I consider only the spin of the electron and not the total spin of the system, so the spin of the electron and the spin of the positron?

The metastable electron-positron bound state can exist in different configurations depending on the relative spin states of the positron and the electron.
These are known as para-positronium (p-Ps), with total spin S = 0 and ortho positronium (o-Ps) with S = 1.
though
These spin states have very different lifetimes

see- the level diagram may help

1. R. Ley, Appl. Surf. Sci. 194 301(2002)
2. http://pyweb.swan.ac.uk/quamp/quampweb/talks/CASSIDY_QuAMP_2013.pdf

What is spin-orbit coupling for positronium?

Spin-orbit coupling for positronium is a quantum mechanical phenomenon that describes the interaction between the spin of the positron and its orbital motion. Positronium is a bound state between an electron and a positron, and its spin can be either parallel or antiparallel to its orbital motion.

How does spin-orbit coupling affect the energy levels of positronium?

Spin-orbit coupling causes a splitting of the energy levels of positronium. This means that the energy levels of the positronium atom are no longer degenerate, and the energy of the atom depends on both the spin and orbital motion of the positron.

What is the origin of spin-orbit coupling for positronium?

The origin of spin-orbit coupling for positronium is the interaction between the magnetic moments of the electron and the positron. This interaction leads to a spin-orbit interaction energy that affects the energy levels of the positronium atom.

How is spin-orbit coupling for positronium different from spin-orbit coupling for other atoms?

Spin-orbit coupling for positronium is different from spin-orbit coupling in other atoms because positronium is a purely leptonic system, meaning it only contains particles with spin 1/2. In contrast, spin-orbit coupling in other atoms involves interactions between the spin of electrons and the orbital motion of both electrons and nuclei.

What are the applications of spin-orbit coupling for positronium in research and technology?

The study of spin-orbit coupling for positronium can provide insights into fundamental quantum mechanical interactions and can also have practical applications. For example, it can be used to understand the dynamics of positron annihilation in materials, which is useful for studying defects and imperfections. Spin-orbit coupling can also be utilized in quantum computing and spintronic devices.