Noob to mechanical engineering - how do I find the part I need

In summary, the hinge is a simple device that allows a stiff piece of material to flex without breaking. The hinge found on the website is too expensive for what the user needs, so a simpler version must be found. The user found a cheaper source for the hinge on McMaster.com.
chewmanfoo
I build things. I need mechanical parts from time to time, and I always have trouble finding the parts I need because I don't have a vocabulary from the mechanical engineering world - I hope to acquire the language by living in the forum for a while (and thinks in advance to anyone who can help).

This week I am looking for a hinge. The purpose of the hinge is to allow a stiff piece to flex without breaking. I drew a picture of the hinge in sketchup:

http://i.imgur.com/WRTq4uv.png

Googling around, I found this piece: http://www.hardwaresource.com/hinges/SPECIALTY+HINGES/Heavy+Duty+Hinges/Heavy+Duty+Gate+Hinges/4%22+Bolt-On+Pivot+Hinge

which seems to fit the bill. But it's too costly because it supports weight limits I don't need (I only need about 50 lbs. per hinge)

Can anyone suggest what this kind of hinge is called? I need to buy one for a relatively cheap price - does anyone have a good source for mechanical pieces I can buy off the internet?

Engineering news on Phys.org
You can learn a lot of the terminology via a good catalog; something like http://www.grainger.com/category/hardware/ecatalog/N-bib As for prices, the less common the item, the more expensive. So you may want to revisit your design and use "common hinges" or a different technique if cost is the main issue.

Last edited by a moderator:
You can also make a surprisingly large amount of things yourself if you know how to weld and if you are able to bend metal plates and pipes accurately.

wow that's genius! Thanks a lot guys. I came to the right place.

Also take a look at www.Mcmaster.com they have a ton of parts for all sorts of things and its organized really intuitively in an easy-to-navigate way.

1. How do I know which part I need for my project?

To determine the part you need, you should first understand the purpose and function of your project. Then, research the different types of mechanical parts and their specific uses. You can also consult with experienced engineers or refer to online resources for guidance.

2. Where can I find the specific part I need?

There are several options for finding the specific part you need. You can check with local hardware or specialty stores, search online through reputable suppliers, or contact manufacturers directly. It may also be helpful to consult with engineers or other professionals in your field for recommendations.

3. How do I ensure the part I choose is compatible with my project?

Before purchasing a part, it is important to carefully review the specifications and dimensions to ensure compatibility with your project. You can also consult with experts or refer to product manuals for further clarification.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid when choosing a mechanical part?

Some common mistakes to avoid include selecting the wrong size or type of part, overlooking important specifications, and not considering the quality or reliability of the part. It is also important to avoid purchasing from unreliable sources or using counterfeit parts.

5. How can I make sure I am getting the best value for my money?

To ensure you are getting the best value for your money, it is important to compare prices from different suppliers and carefully review the quality and specifications of the part. Additionally, consider the reputation and customer reviews of the supplier or manufacturer before making a purchase.