How Do You Calculate the Diameter of a Steel Rod for Furniture to Ensure Safety?

In summary, the individual is seeking help with calculating the necessary diameter of a steel rod for a piece of furniture that will bear most of a person's weight. They have experience in chemical engineering but need assistance with the mechanical and structural engineering aspects of the problem. They have also expressed concerns about the design and are open to sharing a sketch for further assistance.
Charles Dean
Hello I am looking for help with the following:

I am designing a piece of furniture where most of the person's weight will be taken on a metal (steel) rod resting on a wooden batten. I need to calculate the diameter of rod needed to ensure it is safe to sit on. As a chemical engineer I have looked at things like creep strength before, but this is more of a mechanical / structural engineering problem.

Can anyone assist with this?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Charles Dean said:
Hello I am looking for help with the following:

I am designing a piece of furniture where most of the person's weight will be taken on a metal (steel) rod resting on a wooden batten. I need to calculate the diameter of rod needed to ensure it is safe to sit on. As a chemical engineer I have looked at things like creep strength before, but this is more of a mechanical / structural engineering problem.

Can anyone assist with this?

Welcome to the PF.

Sounds like the design has some problems. Why just a single rod? That doesn't sound very strong. Can you post a sketch?

Related to How Do You Calculate the Diameter of a Steel Rod for Furniture to Ensure Safety?

What is structural engineering?

Structural engineering is a branch of engineering that deals with the design, construction, and maintenance of structures such as buildings, bridges, and other man-made structures. It involves the analysis and design of the structural components to ensure they can withstand the expected loads and function safely and efficiently.

What are the key principles of structural engineering?

The key principles of structural engineering include understanding the properties of materials, applying mathematical and scientific principles to analyze and design structures, and considering the effects of loads and forces on the structure. It also involves following codes and standards, using appropriate construction techniques, and considering environmental factors.

What are the different types of structures in structural engineering?

Structural engineering covers a wide range of structures, including buildings, bridges, tunnels, dams, towers, and other man-made structures. It also includes special structures such as offshore platforms, space structures, and sports facilities. Each type of structure requires specific design considerations and techniques.

What is the role of a structural engineer?

A structural engineer is responsible for the design, analysis, and construction of structures. They work closely with architects and other engineers to ensure that the structure is safe, functional, and meets the project's requirements. They also oversee the construction process and may be involved in the inspection and maintenance of the structure.

What are the key skills required for a career in structural engineering?

To be a successful structural engineer, one needs strong mathematical and analytical skills, a thorough understanding of physics and mechanics, and knowledge of relevant software and design codes. Good communication and teamwork skills are also essential, as well as the ability to think creatively and problem-solve effectively.