Normal force reading on a scale -- How and why?

In summary, the conversation discusses the normal force and its relation to a bathroom scale. Despite not having the ability to perform experiments, it is deduced that the scale reads the normal force based on Newton's 3rd Law and the definition of the normal force. The conversation also addresses the misconception that gravity acts on the top of the scale.
Elvis 123456789

Homework Statement

let's say you have a regular bathroom scale, which we know measures the normal force that it exerts on a person aka. apparent weight. Now let's say that we didn't know that it measured the normal force when a object was on it. Obviously we still know that the only two forces acting on the object are the normal force and the force of gravity. We also cannot perform any experiments with the scale, such as accelerating it to see if the scale reading changes. Do you have enough information to deduce that the scale reads the normal force and why? ( This wasn't really a homework question, just a misunderstanding that I've had with this topic, and i wanted to see if somebody can help clear it up for me)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
What does Newton's 3'd Law say and what is the definition of the normal force?

J Hann said:
What does Newton's 3'd Law say and what is the definition of the normal force?
Newton's 3rd Law states that in every interaction there are equal and opposite force pairs that act on different objects. The normal force is the force that a surface applies perpendicularly to the surface on an object. I don't see how either of those two things will give me the answer to the question.

Isn't the normal force considered to be the "normal reaction" of the scale?
What else can the scale reading be?

i still don't get it , could u please explain more ? and some pictures would really help

Elvis 123456789 said:
Obviously we still know that the only two forces acting on the object are the normal force and the force of gravity.
We do not know this. Because it is obviously false. There is a third force.

jbriggs444 said:
We do not know this. Because it is obviously false. There is a third force.
I'm having trouble figuring out the third force you are referring to. Please tell me you are not talking about air buoyancy.

Chestermiller said:
I'm having trouble figuring out the third force you are referring to. Please tell me you are not talking about air buoyancy.
The two forces already identified are the normal force (acting on the top of the scale) and gravity (acting on the bulk of the scale). What holds it up?

The idea that "gravity" acts on the top of the scale would be incorrect. Your feet act on the top of the scale, not gravity.

jbriggs444 said:
The two forces already identified are the normal force (acting on the top of the scale) and gravity (acting on the bulk of the scale). What holds it up?

The idea that "gravity" acts on the top of the scale would be incorrect. Your feet act on the top of the scale, not gravity.
I thought the OP was referring to the forces acting on the object.

Likes jbriggs444
Chestermiller said:
I thought the OP was referring to the forces acting on the object.
Right, you are.

We are concerned with what the scale is measuring. So forces acting on the scale are naturally the relevant things to consider.

1. How does a scale measure normal force?

A scale measures normal force as the force exerted by an object on its surface due to gravity. This is because, according to Newton's third law, every action has an equal and opposite reaction. So when an object is placed on a scale, the scale exerts an upward force on the object, which is equal to the weight of the object.

2. Why is the normal force reading on a scale important?

The normal force reading on a scale is important because it allows us to measure the weight of an object. This is useful in various scientific fields, such as physics and engineering, where understanding the force exerted by objects is crucial.

3. How does the normal force reading on a scale change with different objects?

The normal force reading on a scale can change with different objects because it is dependent on the mass and gravitational pull of the object. Objects with a greater mass will exert a greater normal force on the scale, resulting in a higher reading.

4. Can the normal force reading on a scale be affected by external factors?

Yes, the normal force reading on a scale can be affected by external factors such as air resistance and friction. For example, if an object is falling through the air, the air resistance will cause the normal force reading on the scale to be lower than the actual weight of the object.

5. How can the normal force reading on a scale be used in real-life applications?

The normal force reading on a scale has many real-life applications, such as in the measurement of the weight of objects in industries like agriculture and manufacturing. It is also used in the calibration of scales for accurate weighing of items in grocery stores and other commercial settings.