Normal load on the tires of car

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of finding the normal load on each wheel of a racing car when cornering. The speaker has made three equations but is missing a fourth to solve for the unknowns. Suggestions are given for the fourth equation and it is recommended to consider all the weight on the outside wheels during a turn and to research statically indeterminate structures. The use of springs and the roll center is also mentioned.
Yanna
Hello there!

I am Yanna and I am building a racing car. I am now trying to calculate the tire drag of this car when cornering, but I'm stuck on something.

In order to find the tire drag, I need the normal load on each wheel. To find this, I made some equations:
1) the sum of the normal load over all four wheels equals the total gravity force;
2) the sum of the momenta around the Center of Gravity in pitch direction is zero;
3) the sum of the momenta around the Center of Gravity in roll direction is zero.
However, I now have 3 equations and 4 unknowns, so I cannot calculate the normal load on each wheel. What should the fourth equation be? I have some ideas:
a) The sum of the momenta around the Center of Gravity in yaw direction is zero;
b) Some equation regarding the torsion of the car being zero. (I would not know how to make this equation)

Is any of these ideas correct or is it another equation that I should use?

Thank you in advance for your help!

Engineering news on Phys.org
To be on the safe side why not just consider all the weight of the car on the two outside wheels in a turn?
It is clear from watching many races...there is very little car weight on the inside wheels in a tight turn.
BTW - are there any down forces applied to the car via aerodynamics?

Google is your friend: Search statically indeterminate problem. I found a section on statically indeterminate structures in my old undergrad strength of materials book. The key to solving this problem is that all four wheels are mounted on springs, and the ground keeps the four wheels aligned to a plane.

Likes Yanna
Let's look at the no springs case first. We can find the portion of the weight on the front axle (##W_f##) with the pitch moment equation:
$$W_f = \frac{d}{L}mg + \frac{h}{L}ma_x$$
Where ##\frac{d}{L}m = m_f##, i.e. the portion of the vehicle's mass "acting" on the front. (##L##: wheelbase; ##d##: distance from CG to rear axle; ##h##: CG height; ##m##: vehicle mass; ##a_x##: longitudinal acceleration)

Now looking at the front axle only, we can look at the roll moment equation:
$$TW_{Lf} = \frac{T}{2}W_f + hm_fa_y$$
Or:
$$W_{Lf} = \frac{1}{2}\frac{d}{L}mg + \frac{1}{2}\frac{h}{L}ma_x + \frac{h}{T}\frac{d}{L}ma_y$$
(##W_{Lf}##: load on left front wheel; ##T##: track; ##a_y##: lateral acceleration)

You can do the same for all other wheels, which will leave you with sign changes and/or ##d## replaced by ##(L-d)## as minor differences in the equations.

Now let's assume that there are springs and that the body rolls about a fixed roll center (the red dot in the following figure):

car-frame.png

The lateral acceleration is now acting at ##h_0## instead of ##h##. The moment ##M## - that transmits to the ground through the spring - is ##(h-h_0)ma_y##. But that is for the whole car (front and rear). In this case, the red spring would represent the combination of both the front and rear springs. Because they are in parallel, the total spring (roll) stiffness is ##K_f + K_r##. And the contribution of the front springs would be ##\frac{K_f}{K_f + K_r}##, thus ##M = \frac{K_f}{K_f + K_r}(h-h_0)ma_y##.

Therefore in our previous equation for ##W_{Lf}##, we have to replace ##hm_fa_y## with ##h_0m_fa_y + \frac{K_f}{K_f + K_r}(h-h_0)ma_y##, which leads to:
$$W_{Lf} = \frac{1}{2}\frac{d}{L}mg + \frac{1}{2}\frac{h}{L}ma_x + \frac{h_0\frac{d}{L}+(h-h_0)\frac{K_f}{K_f + K_r}}{T}ma_y$$

Just to be clear, ##h_0## is measured at the CG location (between the front & rear axles) where the roll axis passes. The roll axis is the line joining the front & rear roll centers. So it is the same value for the front or the rear axle.

Note that if ##h_0=h##, then it is the same equation as with the no springs case (the entire moment is absorbed by the solid axle and the springs absorb nothing).

Note also that if the rear springs are infinitely stiff (i.e. solid bars) and ##h_0 = 0##, then the rear axle absorb the entire roll moment and there is none on the front axle (if the rear springs are solid bars, then the body doesn't rotate and the front springs cannot absorb anything).

Attachments

• car-frame.png
    car-frame.png
    7.5 KB · Views: 670
Likes Yanna
Thank you! I found the normal load on each wheel now!

What is the normal load on the tires of a car?

The normal load on the tires of a car refers to the weight that each tire is designed to support. It is typically measured in pounds or kilograms and can vary depending on the type and size of the tire.

How is the normal load on the tires of a car determined?

The normal load on the tires of a car is determined by the tire manufacturer based on the size, type, and intended use of the tire. This information is then displayed on the sidewall of the tire and should be followed to ensure safe operation of the vehicle.

What happens if the normal load on the tires of a car is exceeded?

If the normal load on the tires of a car is exceeded, it can cause excessive wear and tear on the tires, leading to decreased performance and potentially dangerous situations. It can also affect the handling and braking capabilities of the vehicle.

How does the normal load on the tires of a car affect tire pressure?

The normal load on the tires of a car is directly related to the recommended tire pressure. If the load is too high, it can cause the tire pressure to increase, and if the load is too low, it can cause the tire pressure to decrease. It is important to regularly check and adjust tire pressure to ensure it is at the proper level for the normal load.

Can the normal load on the tires of a car change?

Yes, the normal load on the tires of a car can change depending on factors such as the number of passengers, cargo weight, and towing capacity. It is important to adjust the tire pressure accordingly when there is a change in the normal load to maintain safe and optimal performance of the tires.