Normal reaction force on banked track

In summary, the normal force has a vertical component that cancels out the weight force, and the horizontal component of the normal force (parallel to the plane) provides the centripetal acceleration for the car to continue around the track.
Monster007
If a car us on a frictionless banked track what causes the normal reaction force to be greater than the weight force?

My understanding from what I've read is that the vertical component of the reaction force cancels the weight force which makes sense as the object doesn't leave the ground. And I understand that the horizontal component of the normal force (parallel to the plane) acts down the plane and provides the centripetal acceleration for the car to continue around the track. The question I have is, what is it that causes the normal to have this extra magnitude? I have read many different answers for this and by and large it is ignored in most explanations but I would love to get my head around this to properly understand the situation. Many thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you ever been on a carnival ride called the Round Up? You and others are on a flat floor surrounded by a cylindrical wall. The ride rotates about the axis, and you feel forced against the wall. At some point, the floor drops out. What causes the normal force that the wall exerts on you, and allows friction in the vertical to keep you from falling through the opening?

chet

Monster007 said:
If a car us on a frictionless banked track what causes the normal reaction force to be greater than the weight force?

My understanding from what I've read is that the vertical component of the reaction force cancels the weight force which makes sense as the object doesn't leave the ground. And I understand that the horizontal component of the normal force (parallel to the plane) acts down the plane and provides the centripetal acceleration for the car to continue around the track. The question I have is, what is it that causes the normal to have this extra magnitude? I have read many different answers for this and by and large it is ignored in most explanations but I would love to get my head around this to properly understand the situation. Many thanks in advance.

"And I understand that the horizontal component of the normal force (parallel to the plane) acts down the plane "

I think you have made a mistake here..the horizontal component of the normal force does NOT ACT DOWN THE PLANE. It acts horizontally towards the centre of the circle. this is the centripetal force and its value is determined by the velocity, the angle of the track and the radius of the circle.

Monster007 said:
what causes the normal reaction force to be greater than the weight force?
The normal force is electromagnetic repulsion at the contact patch. It adjusts to whatever value is needed to prevent penetration of the bodies in contact.

Monster007 said:
... the horizontal component of the normal force (parallel to the plane) acts down the plane ...
No, the horizontal component acts horizontally.

Ok, you are both correct the horizontal component of the normal force acts towards the centre of the circle for centripetal acceleration, but this is not my question. My question is, If the normal force on a flat surface is equal in magnitude to the weight force, to stop the object falling through the surface, then where does this "extra" component of the normal force come from on an inclined plane? Mathematically, if Ncos(θ) = mg then what causes the Nsin(θ) component of the normal that acts to the centre of the circle?
Cheers.

Have you drawn a free body diagram, or do you think you have advanced beyond the point where you need to draw free body diagrams? If you have a free body diagram, let's see it.

I'm sure there is something fundamental I'm not grasping here but from all the explanations I've read (many differing) I can't get my head around it, FBD attached.
Cheers

Attachments

• FBD2.png
    FBD2.png
    24.8 KB · Views: 971
Is this a circular banked track or just a banked track?

Circular
CWatters said:
Is this a circular banked track or just a banked track?

Monster007 said:
I'm sure there is something fundamental I'm not grasping here but from all the explanations I've read (many differing) I can't get my head around it, FBD attached.
Cheers
Is it possible to redraw this diagram with the blue arrow as the hypotenuse of the triangle and the upper red arrow horizontal. This is what is really happening. Why? You need a horizontal component of force to accelerate the car toward the center of the circular track (centripetal acceleration). So the normal reaction force from the track has to have a vertical component to balance the weight, and it has to have a horizontal component large enough to match the centripetal acceleration.

For the normal force to be perpendicular to the frictionless track, its components must be at the exact same angle as the bank angle. This means that the centripetal acceleration has to be just right, meaning that the velocity of the car around the track must be just right. If the velocity is too slow (on a frictionless track), the car will slide down the slope. If the velocity is too high, the car will slide up the slope and over the side.

Chestermiller said:
Is it possible to redraw this diagram with the blue arrow as the hypotenuse of the triangle and the upper red arrow horizontal. This is what is really happening. Why? You need a horizontal component of force to accelerate the car toward the center of the circular track (centripetal acceleration). So the normal reaction force from the track has to have a vertical component to balance the weight, and it has to have a horizontal component large enough to match the centripetal acceleration.

For the normal force to be perpendicular to the frictionless track, its components must be at the exact same angle as the bank angle. This means that the centripetal acceleration has to be just right, meaning that the velocity of the car around the track must be just right. If the velocity is too slow (on a frictionless track), the car will slide down the slope. If the velocity is too high, the car will slide up the slope and over the side.

I think this is where the confusion lies, you say the normal force has to have a horizontal component to match/provide the centripetal acceleration but I think I'm having trouble with the cause/effect here? I'm thinking from the point of view that the horizontal component of the normal is caused by something and that in turn provides the centripetal force? Or am I confusing the issue? Sorry if I'm completely lost here I just can't seem to find an explanation for this anywhere, it is always addressed as, the horizontal component of the normal provides the centripetal acceleration, I'm always left questioning how and why?
Cheers,

Monster007 said:
I think this is where the confusion lies, you say the normal force has to have a horizontal component to match/provide the centripetal acceleration but I think I'm having trouble with the cause/effect here? I'm thinking from the point of view that the horizontal component of the normal is caused by something and that in turn provides the centripetal force? Or am I confusing the issue? Sorry if I'm completely lost here I just can't seem to find an explanation for this anywhere, it is always addressed as, the horizontal component of the normal provides the centripetal acceleration, I'm always left questioning how and why?
Cheers,
The car always wants to go in a tangential straight line. But, if it did, it would go right through the side of the track. So it is the car pressing laterally against the side of the track that causes a 3rd law horizontal reaction force from the track on the car. This redirects the car in a circular path, rather than allowing the car to continue going in a tangent straight line.

Chestermiller said:
The car always wants to go in a tangential straight line. But, if it did, it would go right through the side of the track. So it is the car pressing laterally against the side of the track that causes a 3rd law horizontal reaction force from the track on the car. This redirects the car in a circular path, rather than allowing the car to continue going in a tangent straight line.

Ok, I think this is getting me close to an understanding, It's just hard to get my head around where that extra reaction force comes from? If there is no friction, it can't be friction from the road, and from what i can understand, it can't be due to a reaction from the weight force because the Ncosθ component cancels that out? Can you explain how the extra component comes about? Thanks heaps for this, I have been so frustrated trauling the internet/books for an answer.

Monster007 said:
Ok, I think this is getting me close to an understanding, It's just hard to get my head around where that extra reaction force comes from? If there is no friction, it can't be friction from the road, and from what i can understand, it can't be due to a reaction from the weight force because the Ncosθ component cancels that out? Can you explain how the extra component comes about? Thanks heaps for this, I have been so frustrated trauling the internet/books for an answer.
This is why I was asking you about the Round Up. Your body is trying to go in a straight line, right through the wall. But the wall is solid and circular, so it prevents you from going in a straight line. Instead, your body has to press against the wall to change direction, and the wall pushes back at you. It's like you are pushing off the wall. This accelerates you inward toward the center of rotation.

Ok cool that sounds reasonable, so am I correct in saying that the component of the normal caused by gravity is exactly canceled by the weight force, and the reason that there is a horizontal component of the normal providing centripetal acceleration is due to the normal reaction of the banked wall resisting the force applied on it by the car?

Cheers,

Monster007 said:
Ok cool that sounds reasonable, so am I correct in saying that the component of the normal caused by gravity is exactly canceled by the weight force, and the reason that there is a horizontal component of the normal providing centripetal acceleration is due to the normal reaction of the banked wall resisting the force applied on it by the car?

Cheers,
Yes

Likes Monster007
Chestermiller said:
Yes
Thanks heaps Chet!

Monster007 said:
Both components of the normal force on the car have an equal but opposite force on the track. And there is no cause-effect relationship between those equal but opposite forces, because they act simultaneously.

1. What is the normal reaction force on a banked track?

The normal reaction force on a banked track is the force exerted by the track on an object moving along the track. It is always perpendicular to the surface of the track and acts as a support force for the object.

2. How is the normal reaction force calculated on a banked track?

The normal reaction force on a banked track can be calculated using the equation N = mgcosθ, where N is the normal reaction force, m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and θ is the angle of the banked track.

3. Why is there a need for a normal reaction force on a banked track?

The normal reaction force is necessary on a banked track to prevent an object from slipping or sliding down the track. It provides the necessary centripetal force for the object to maintain its circular motion along the track.

4. How does the angle of the banked track affect the normal reaction force?

The angle of the banked track directly affects the normal reaction force. As the angle increases, the normal reaction force decreases. This is because a steeper banked track requires less normal force to provide the necessary centripetal force for the object to maintain its circular motion.

5. Can the normal reaction force on a banked track ever be zero?

No, the normal reaction force on a banked track can never be zero. If it were, the object would lose contact with the track and fly off in a straight line. The normal reaction force is necessary to keep the object on the track and maintain its circular motion.