Normal reaction, is this a concept we really understand?

In summary, the weight and normal reaction force on a block at rest on a smooth surface do not cancel out, but rather act on different objects. The normal force opposes the weight force and is present when the block and the surface are in contact.
kirakun
Hi guys ^^ I am still at A level physics, so don't flame me for my lack of knowledge
Now i have been taught that for ex:

We have a block of wood named A at rest on a perfectly smooth surface.

If we analyse a free body diagram, we have a weight mg downwards acting on the block and a normal reaction force acting at the boundary of the block and surface. Also we have the same normal reaction, by the block on the ground at the boundary too.
So why do we have the misconception (maybe its me only XD) that the weight and the normal reaction cancel out.
Is'nt it really the weight and the force the block attracts the earth(laws of gravitation) which cancel each other.
I don't know if its "my" misconception, but I've seen many books very unclear about this.

Feel free to comment. Thank you :)

Edit: o.o if we assume what i said is true, then how do we assign a magnitude to normal reaction force? D: I am getting confused

Edit 2 : thanks a lot everyone, that cleared many doubts for me :)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
kirakun said:
Hi guys ^^ I am still at A level physics, so don't flame me for my lack of knowledge
Now i have been taught that for ex:

We have a block of wood named A at rest on a perfectly smooth surface.

If we analyse a free body diagram, we have a weight mg downwards acting on the block and a normal reaction force acting at the boundary of the block and surface. Also we have the same normal reaction, by the block on the ground at the boundary too.
So why do we have the misconception (maybe its me only XD) that the weight and the normal reaction cancel out.
That is not a misconception. The blocks weight and the normal force on the block cancel out when computing the net force on the block, which zero so the block remains static.

kirakun said:
Is'nt it really the weight and the force the block attracts the earth(laws of gravitation) which cancel each other.
The foces of gravity acting on block and Earth act on two different objects. So they don't cancel out when computing the net force on any object. They do cancel out when computing the net momentum-transfer for the entire system, which must be zero for a closed system.
kirakun said:
Edit: o.o if we assume what i said is true, then how do we assign a magnitude to normal reaction force?
Fnet = 0 so Fnormal = -Fweigth

You should always remember what object the forces you are looking at are acting on. The weight force and the normal force both act on the block of wood itself. The gravitational force that the wood attracts the Earth with acts on the Earth and not the wood block.

kirakun said:
Is'nt it really the weight and the force the block attracts the earth(laws of gravitation) which cancel each other?

No. Those forces are indeed equal and acting in opposite directions, but they're acting on different things. One (the weight of the block) is acting on the block so wants to accelerate the block and the other is acting on the Earth so wants to accelerate the earth.

Suppose the block were not resting on the ground; we pick up and then let go of it so it falls. While it's falling, both of these forces are still at work and the block is accelerating (so is the earth, but the same force acting on much more massive Earth produces no measurable acceleration), so it's pretty clear that these two forces don't cancel.

When the block is resting on the surface of the earth, it's no longer accelerating, so something has to be opposing the force of its weight; that something is the normal force, which isn't present until the block and the Earth are touching.

Last edited:

1. What is a normal reaction in science?

In science, a normal reaction refers to the force exerted by an object against another object that is in contact with it. It is also known as the contact force and is perpendicular to the surface of the object. This force is a result of the interaction between two surfaces and is dependent on factors such as the material, surface area, and friction.

2. How is the normal reaction calculated?

The normal reaction can be calculated using the formula: R = mgcosθ, where R is the normal reaction, m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and θ is the angle between the surface and the direction of gravity. This formula applies when the object is on a flat surface and the force of gravity is acting vertically downwards.

3. Is the normal reaction always equal to the force of gravity?

No, the normal reaction is not always equal to the force of gravity. The normal reaction and the force of gravity are equal only when the object is on a flat surface and the force of gravity is acting vertically downwards. In other situations, such as on an inclined plane, the normal reaction and the force of gravity may not be equal.

4. Why is the normal reaction important in physics?

The normal reaction is important in physics because it helps us understand the forces acting on objects and their motion. It is a fundamental concept in mechanics and is crucial in analyzing the stability and equilibrium of objects. The normal reaction also plays a role in many real-life scenarios, such as walking, driving, and building structures.

5. Can the normal reaction be greater than the force of gravity?

Yes, the normal reaction can be greater than the force of gravity in certain situations. For example, when an object is on an inclined plane, the normal reaction is equal to the component of the force of gravity acting perpendicular to the surface, which can be greater than the force of gravity itself. In this case, the object will not slide down the plane as the normal reaction is strong enough to counteract the force of gravity.