'Normalisation' of Fourier Transforms in QFT

In summary, there are different conventions for the constants used in Fourier transforms and inverse Fourier transforms in quantum mechanics and quantum field theory. The choice of convention is often a matter of personal preference and can lead to confusion. It is recommended to follow the conventions used in the Review of Particle Physics for consistency.
tomdodd4598
Hi there - just a quick question about Fourier transforms:

When learning about quantum mechanics, I found that the Fourier transform and inverse Fourier transform were both defined with constants of ##{ \left( 2\pi \right) }^{ -d/2 }## in front of the integral. This is useful, as wave-functions normalised in position-space are also normalised in momentum-space.

However, now I have moved onto QFT, and online notes and the textbook I'm using put different constants in front of the integrals, namely ##{ \left( 2\pi \right) }^{ -d }## in front of the integral over momenta, and simply ##1## in front of the integral over positions.

Is there any explanation for this, or is this purely definition? If the latter is the case, what is the use this definition has over the one used for transforming wave functions?

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
It's just convention, and it's a nuissance. There are so many normalization conventions that I've sometimes the impression it exceeds the number of physicists using QFT ;-)). I think, it's good to stick to the conventions of the Review of Particle Physics since this is most common in the field

http://pdg.lbl.gov/2017/reviews/rpp2016-rev-kinematics.pdf

Related to 'Normalisation' of Fourier Transforms in QFT

1. What is the purpose of normalisation in Fourier transforms in QFT?

The purpose of normalisation in Fourier transforms in QFT is to ensure that the transformed function has a magnitude of 1 at the origin. This allows for a consistent and meaningful interpretation of the transformed function.

2. How is normalisation achieved in Fourier transforms in QFT?

Normalisation is achieved by dividing the transformed function by the square root of the total number of dimensions in the Fourier space. This is commonly represented by a factor of 1/(2π)^n, where n is the number of dimensions.

3. Why is normalisation important in QFT?

Normalisation is important in QFT as it ensures that the transformed function has a well-defined physical interpretation. It also allows for consistent calculations and comparisons between different Fourier transforms.

4. Does normalisation impact the overall shape of the transformed function in QFT?

No, normalisation does not impact the overall shape of the transformed function in QFT. It only affects the magnitude of the function at the origin, ensuring a consistent interpretation of the transformed function.

5. Can normalisation be applied to non-physical quantities in QFT?

Yes, normalisation can be applied to non-physical quantities in QFT. However, it is important to note that in these cases, the normalisation factor may not have a clear physical meaning and is used primarily for mathematical convenience.