Particle on a sphere problem in quantum mechanics and its solution

In summary, the conversation discusses solving a particle on a sphere problem in quantum mechanics through a change of independent variable and the use of associated Legendre polynomials. The book being referenced is "Quantum mechanics" by David McIntyre. The conversation also touches on the Condon-Shortley phase factor and the use of a factor of (-1)^m in the solution for negative m values, which is related to parity symmetry. The conversation ends with a question about the application of the raising operator to a specific function and the need for a factor of (-1)^m to satisfy the equation.
Kashmir
To solve a particle on a sphere problem in quantum mechanics we get the below equation :##\left[\frac{1}{\sin \theta} \frac{d}{d \theta}\left(\sin \theta \frac{d}{d \theta}\right)-\frac{m^{2}}{\sin ^{2} \theta}\right] \Theta(\theta)=-A \Theta(\theta) ##

To solve this differential equation, we start with a change of independent variable ##z=\cos \theta##, where ##z## is the rectangular coordinate for the particle, assuming a unit sphere. We also introduce a new function
##
P(z)=\Theta(\theta) .
##
Using this substitution we've this equation
##\left(\left(1-z^{2}\right) \frac{d^{2}}{d z^{2}}-2 z \frac{d}{d z}+A-\frac{m^{2}}{\left(1-z^{2}\right)}\right) P(z)=0 ## whose solutions are the associated Legendre polynomials :

##
P_{\ell}^{-m}(z)=P_{\ell}^{m}(z)
##

To get back the angular solution I should use ##
P(z)=\Theta(\theta)## and also normalise it, giving me

##\Theta_{\ell}^{m}(\theta)= \frac{(2 \ell+1)}{2} \frac{(\ell-m) !}{(\ell+m) !} P_{\ell}^{m}(\cos \theta)##

But my book writes the solution with an additional ##(-1)^{m}## term as
##\Theta_{\ell}^{m}(\theta)= (-1)^{m}\frac{(2 \ell+1)}{2} \frac{(\ell-m) !}{(\ell+m) !} P_{\ell}^{m}(\cos \theta) ##

Why is that so?

Physics news on Phys.org
What is your book? Do you know about parity transformations?

dextercioby said:
What is your book? Do you know about parity transformations?
David McIntyre, Quantum mechanics.

I know little bit about parity operator.

Look up on the internet the "Condon-Shortley phase factor".

Likes Kashmir
dextercioby said:
Look up on the internet the "Condon-Shortley phase factor".
So the factor is there to simplify calculations.

Similarly defining for negative ##m##:
##
\Theta_{\ell}^{-m}(\theta)=(-1)^{m} \Theta_{\ell}^{m}(\theta), \quad m \geq 0 .
## is also to simplify calculations?

I think that is symmetry (parity)-related.

Kashmir said:
##\Theta_{\ell}^{m}(\theta)= (-1)^{m}\frac{(2 \ell+1)}{2} \frac{(\ell-m) !}{(\ell+m) !} P_{\ell}^{m}(\cos \theta) ##

Why is that so?
What happens if you apply the raising operator ##L_+## to ##\Theta_{1}^{0}(\theta)##? Do you need a factor of ##(-1)^m## to satisfy ##L_+\Theta_{1}^{0} = \Theta_{1}^{1}##?

Likes Kashmir and dextercioby
PeroK said:
What happens if you apply the raising operator ##L_+## to ##\Theta_{1}^{0}(\theta)##? Do you need a factor of ##(-1)^m## to satisfy ##L_+\Theta_{1}^{0} = \Theta_{1}^{1}##?
Hello sir.
I've not done the ladder operators for angular momentum. I'll do them and come back.
Thank you :)

1. What is the "Particle on a Sphere" problem in quantum mechanics?

The "Particle on a Sphere" problem is a theoretical problem in quantum mechanics that involves studying the behavior of a particle confined to the surface of a sphere. This problem is used to understand the properties of quantum systems in curved space.

2. What is the significance of the "Particle on a Sphere" problem?

The "Particle on a Sphere" problem is significant because it provides a simplified model for studying the behavior of particles in curved space, which is relevant in many areas of physics such as general relativity and cosmology. It also helps in understanding the behavior of quantum systems in non-Euclidean geometries.

3. How is the "Particle on a Sphere" problem solved in quantum mechanics?

The "Particle on a Sphere" problem is solved using the Schrödinger equation, which is a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics that describes the evolution of a quantum system over time. The solution involves finding the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of the Hamiltonian operator, which represents the total energy of the system.

4. What are the main challenges in solving the "Particle on a Sphere" problem?

One of the main challenges in solving the "Particle on a Sphere" problem is dealing with the non-commutativity of the position and momentum operators in curved space. This requires the use of advanced mathematical techniques such as differential geometry and Lie algebras. Another challenge is finding an exact solution for the problem, as it often requires numerical methods.

5. How does the solution of the "Particle on a Sphere" problem relate to real-world applications?

The solution of the "Particle on a Sphere" problem has many real-world applications, such as in understanding the behavior of electrons in atoms and molecules, and in the study of quantum systems in curved space. It also has implications in fields such as quantum computing, where understanding the behavior of particles on curved surfaces is crucial for developing efficient algorithms.