Normalization of wave function (Griffiths QM, 2.5)

In summary, when normalizing the wave function of a particle in an infinite square well, one can exploit the orthonormality of the first two stationary states, where the expression for the stationary states is already normalized.
Saraphim

Homework Statement

A particle in the infinite square well has its initial wave function an even mixture of the first two stationary states:

[itex]\Psi(x,0) = A\left[ \psi_1(x) + \psi_2(x) \right] [/itex]

Normalize [itex]\Psi(x,0)[/itex]. Exploit the orthonormality of [itex]\psi_1[/itex] and [itex]\psi_2[/itex]

Homework Equations

[itex]\psi_n(x) = \sqrt{\frac{2}{a}} \sin \left( \frac{n\pi}{a}x\right)[/itex],
where a is the width of the infinite square well.

The Attempt at a Solution

I've managed to eliminate the orthogonal parts of my integral, so I'm now left with
[itex]|A|^2 \int |\psi_1|^2 + |\psi_2|^2 dx = 1[/itex]

I have the feeling that I now have to exploit the fact that they are both normalized, but why is that so? What's the logic here?

EDIT: I had written a wrong expression for [itex]\psi_n[/itex]. Sorry! :(

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Solution: The expression for [itex]\psi_n[/itex] is already normalized. I should have realized this. Therefore, the integral yields 2 over the interval

Related to Normalization of wave function (Griffiths QM, 2.5)

1. What is the purpose of normalizing a wave function?

Normalizing a wave function ensures that the probability of finding the particle in any location is equal to 1. It also allows for the calculation of meaningful physical quantities, such as the average position and momentum of the particle.

2. How is normalization of a wave function carried out?

The normalization of a wave function involves finding the normalization constant, also known as the normalization factor, which is the square root of the integral of the wave function squared over all space. This constant is then multiplied by the original wave function to obtain the normalized wave function.

3. Can any wave function be normalized?

Yes, any wave function can be normalized as long as it satisfies certain conditions, such as being continuous and finite everywhere. However, some wave functions may require more complex integration techniques to find the normalization constant.

4. What happens if a wave function is not normalized?

If a wave function is not normalized, the probability of finding the particle in any location will not be equal to 1. This could result in incorrect calculations of physical quantities and make it difficult to interpret the behavior of the particle.

5. Why is normalization important in quantum mechanics?

Normalization is important in quantum mechanics because it allows for the calculation of meaningful physical quantities and ensures the consistency of the theory. It also allows for the comparison of different wave functions and helps to interpret the probabilistic nature of quantum systems.