Normalize the eigenfunction of the momentum operator

In summary: This is a very general result that can be applied to a whole bunch of problems in classical mechanics, e.g., the motion of a particle in a medium. It's a result of the principle of least action.In summary, you are solving an equation for momentum in terms of a delta function, and the limit as the distance to the boundary approaches infinity gives you the momentum operator.
LCSphysicist
Homework Statement
I will post a print
Relevant Equations
The momentum operator identity
1602127827765.png
1602127840716.png

I am just solving the equation $$\frac{h}{2\pi i}\frac{\partial F}{\partial x} = pF$$, finding $$F = e^{\frac{ipx2\pi }{h}}C_{1}$$, and$$ \int_{-\infty }^{\infty }C_{1}^2 = 1$$, which gives me $$C_{1} = \frac{1}{(2\pi)^{1/2} }$$, so i am getting the answer without the h- in the denominator

Pretty sure the error is in the third line. But can't say where there

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Doesn't ##\int_{-\infty }^{\infty }C_{1}^2\,dx## diverge?

vela said:
Doesn't ##\int_{-\infty }^{\infty }C_{1}^2\,dx## diverge?
Yeh but we use dirac notation here just to normalize it (i am still trying to get how this work)
1602130017858.png
1602130041538.png

LCSphysicist said:
Yeh but we use dirac notation here just to normalize it (i am still trying to get how this work)
The point is that your third line is non-sensical. It's clear that
$$\int_{-\infty}^\infty C_1^2\,dx \ne 1$$ for any value of ##C_1##, so how you ended up concluding on the following line that ##C_1 = 1/\sqrt{2\pi}## is a mystery.

Do you know the integral representation of the Dirac delta function?

Where is this from? Quantum mechanics is usually presented with some (healthy) mathematical sloppiness in physics textbooks, but obviously you have a book where the sloppiness is used in a way where it becomes unhealthy.

There are many ways out of this. One is to do quantization of a particle in a finite volume (or here in the 1D case finite line). In order to have a proper momentum operator you have to use periodic boundary conditions, i.e., consider a particle at the interval ##(-L,L)## an impose the periodic boundary conditions ##\psi(-L)=\psi(L)## on the wave functions. The momentum operator is given as in infinite space by ##\hat{p}=-\mathrm{i} \hbar \partial_x##.

Now solve the problem first for this space and then take the limit ##L \rightarrow \infty## in the proper way such as in this limit
$$\int_{\mathbb{R}} \mathrm{d} x e_p^*(x) e_{p'}(x)=\delta(p-p').$$

Likes PhDeezNutz

1. What is the momentum operator in quantum mechanics?

The momentum operator in quantum mechanics is a mathematical operator that describes the momentum of a particle in a quantum system. It is represented by the symbol p and is defined as the product of the mass of the particle and its velocity.

2. Why is it important to normalize the eigenfunction of the momentum operator?

Normalizing the eigenfunction of the momentum operator is important because it allows us to accurately describe the behavior of a particle in a quantum system. Normalization ensures that the total probability of finding the particle in any possible state is equal to 1, which is a fundamental principle in quantum mechanics.

3. How do you normalize the eigenfunction of the momentum operator?

To normalize the eigenfunction of the momentum operator, we use the normalization condition which states that the integral of the squared magnitude of the wavefunction must equal 1. This can be achieved by dividing the wavefunction by the square root of the integral of its squared magnitude.

4. What is the significance of the eigenfunction of the momentum operator being a complex number?

The eigenfunction of the momentum operator being a complex number is significant because it allows us to describe the wave-like behavior of particles in quantum systems. The imaginary part of the complex number represents the phase of the wave, which is important in understanding interference and other quantum phenomena.

5. How does normalizing the eigenfunction of the momentum operator affect the uncertainty principle?

Normalizing the eigenfunction of the momentum operator does not directly affect the uncertainty principle. However, by normalizing the wavefunction, we can accurately calculate the expectation value of momentum and position, which are key components in the uncertainty principle. Normalization also ensures that the uncertainty principle holds true in quantum systems.