North Korea's rocket launch

In summary, the North Korean launch of a satellite into orbit has raised concerns about its intentions and the potential for military conflict.
Physics news on Phys.org
Any other country would use it as a deterrent. So should N. Korea but with Kim Jong-Un's finger on the button...He's one scary dude.

He is scary, but certainly not stupid. He knows quite well how far he can go.

We know how this is going to end. One of these days one of these missiles will have a guidance failure, and it will look like a first strike against Japan, China or Russia. And that will be that.

If it is just a satellite that burns up during re-entry: oh well. If you can launch something to orbit, you can also let it de-orbit somewhere. That is not surprising.
If it is a bomb, then it doesn't make a difference if there was a guidance failure or a deliberate attack.
If it is something in between (re-entry tests?) that doesn't damage anything but does not burn up during re-entry: certainly a possible next step, and one that will lead to political consequences.

North Korea already has the bomb, so they no longer have any leverage. This doesn't matter/doesn't change anything/doesn't have any implications.

russ_watters said:
North Korea already has the bomb, so they no longer have any leverage. This doesn't matter/doesn't change anything/doesn't have any implications.
Maybe.

The satellite payload is estimated to be 200 kg. The smallest nuke which was made in the west (W48) could fit into a 155 mm artillery shell and weighed about 50 kg. Although the yield was less than 100 tons of TNT, such a device can still cause a lot of damage and casualties should it hit an urban area. The Russians had a similar small nuke which could fit into a 152 mm shell.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/W48

I'm not saying the NORKs are sophisticated enough to make such a miniature warhead, but even a "dirty bomb" packed with radioactive isotopes could be quite dangerous. Until now, the NORKs had no feasible method to deliver any of their atomic weapons any great distance. You can't say that anymore. It's not just the folks living on the west coast of the U.S. who have to worry; with orbital capability, the NORKs don't necessarily have to strike directly at the U.S. or any western ally. There is a whole world of other targets the striking of which could be quite damaging to U.S. interests. This is a very de-stabilizing development, IMO, and not just for east Asia.

Vanadium 50 said:
We know how this is going to end. One of these days one of these missiles will have a guidance failure, and it will look like a first strike against Japan, China or Russia. And that will be that.

More likely is a response of "regrettable" from Japan should a N. Korean missile come its way, anything but that. A "first strike" only requires an immediate military response in a cold-war context when a first strike is sufficiently powerful to wipe out most of nation's retaliatory capability, so an similarly powerful response must be planned. N. Korea is unlikely to ever have such ability against those nations.

As for what happens after the missile crashes, look for strongly worded responses of "regrettable", and more "deeply deplorable"'s from Ban Ki-moon. N. Korea has already kidnapped Japanese citizens, torpedoed and sunk a S. Korean naval vessel killing 46, and enslaves its own populace. China might cut off the oil supply again for a few weeks, anything but effect real change in the buffer between it and a free and democratic society in S. Korea.

I read today that the "satellite passed directly over the S bowl stadium" an hour after Game time, anyone else see that?. I would have to find the news link but that would seem particularly provocative for a satellite test.

Latest reports say the satellite is in an unstable orbit and will likely fall. Some indication that this was due to the under performance of their rocket.

1oldman2 said:
I read today that the "satellite passed directly over the S bowl stadium" an hour after Game time, anyone else see that?. I would have to find the news link but that would seem particularly provocative for a satellite test.
I don't know what "passed directly over" means, but within 5 hours, the satellite covers a large fraction of the surface in terms of line of sight. And I don't know how precise the North Korean rockets are...

mfb said:
I don't know what "passed directly over" means, but within 5 hours, the satellite covers a large fraction of the surface in terms of line of sight. And I don't know how precise the North Korean rockets are...
I believe it was Fox news website but a quick search of the keywords should bring up the story. The story said "Passed directly over the superbowl site one hour after game time" so I assume were talking roughly Zenith from site at +1 hour time. I wouldn't be surprised to find a large margin for error in a statement like that, considering the media.

gleem said:
Latest reports say the satellite is in an unstable orbit and will likely fall. Some indication that this was due to the under performance of their rocket.

Latest report the satellite's orbit has stabilized. It has yet to transmit anything.(maybe its not suppose to)

1. What is the purpose of North Korea's rocket launch?

The stated purpose of North Korea's rocket launch is to put a satellite into orbit for peaceful purposes. However, many countries believe that the true purpose is to develop long-range missile technology for military purposes.

2. When did North Korea launch the rocket?

North Korea launched the rocket on April 13, 2020.

3. Did the rocket launch successfully?

According to North Korean state media, the rocket launch was successful and the satellite was put into orbit. However, this claim has not been independently verified and other countries have reported that the launch was a failure.

4. How does the international community respond to North Korea's rocket launch?

The international community, including the United Nations, has condemned North Korea's rocket launch as a violation of UN Security Council resolutions that prohibit the country from conducting ballistic missile launches. The United States, South Korea, and Japan have also strongly condemned the launch and called for increased sanctions against North Korea.

5. What are the potential consequences of North Korea's rocket launch?

The rocket launch has increased tensions in the region and could potentially escalate into a larger conflict. It also raises concerns about North Korea's nuclear capabilities and the possibility of the country using these weapons in the future. Additionally, the launch could result in further sanctions and isolation for North Korea from the international community.