Northcott - Proposition 3 - Non-empty Inductive System

• MHB
  • Thread starter Math Amateur
  • Start date
  • Tags
    System
In summary, Peter is trying to figure out how to prove that $\Omega$ is a non-empty inductive system, but doesn't seem to understand why the assumption that $\Sigma$ is finite is necessary. Fallen Angel was able to point out an error in Peter's reasoning.
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
I am reading D.G. Northcott's book: Lessons on Rings and Modules and Multiplicities.

I am currently studying Chapter 2: Prime Ideals and Primary Submodules.

I need help with an aspect of the proof Proposition 3 in Chapter 2 concerning showing that \(\displaystyle \Omega\) is a non-empty inductive system.

Proposition 3 and its proof read as follows:

View attachment 3684
View attachment 3685

Since my question relates to \(\displaystyle \Omega\) as a non-empty inductive system I am providing Northcott's definition of an inductive system, together with Zorn's Lemma for good measure ... ...

https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/3686

I am puzzled by the role of S in the proof of \(\displaystyle \Omega\) as a non-empty inductive system because the proof seems to me to be independent of the existence and nature of S.My argument (without referring to S) is as follows:We have that \(\displaystyle \Sigma \) is a non-empty totally ordered subset of \(\displaystyle \Omega\) ... ... that is, \(\displaystyle \Sigma \) is a collection of ideals that is totally ordered by inclusion ... ... hence the union, B, of the ideals in \(\displaystyle \Sigma \) is also an ideal ... ... and since the ideals are totally ordered by inclusion, we have that \(\displaystyle B \in \Sigma \) and since \(\displaystyle \Sigma \) is a subset of \(\displaystyle \Omega\), we have that \(\displaystyle B \in \Omega\).

So if the above is correct, then the proof appears to follow without considering S ... ... Can someone please critique my analysis ...

Obviously I am missing something ... indeed, I suspect that the weak link is the assertion that because the ideals are totally ordered by inclusion, we have that \(\displaystyle B \in \Sigma \) ... ... but i cannot really see the error in this assertion ...

Hope someone can help ...

Peter

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Peter,

$B$ doesn't need to be on $\Sigma$, but $B$ is the union of some ideals non intersecting $S$, so any element $b\in B$ is also an element of some $I\in \Sigma$, so $b\notin S$ (because $I\cap S=\emptyset $).

Hence $B\in \Omega$

Fallen Angel said:
Hi Peter,

$B$ doesn't need to be on $\Sigma$, but $B$ is the union of some ideals non intersecting $S$, so any element $b\in B$ is also an element of some $I\in \Sigma$, so $b\notin S$ (because $I\cap S=\emptyset $).

Hence $B\in \Omega$

Thanks for the help Fallen Angel ... ...

Still reflecting on this matter ...

Thanks again,

Peter

Fallen Angel said:
Hi Peter,

Hence $B\in \Omega$
Hi Fallen Angel,

Thanks again for your help ...I have been thinking over what you have said ... ...

We have that \(\displaystyle \Sigma\) is a non-empty, totally ordered subset of \(\displaystyle \Omega\) ... ... so B would be equal to the largest set in \(\displaystyle \Sigma\) since the total order means the sets \(\displaystyle X_i\) in \(\displaystyle \Sigma\) are such that \(\displaystyle X_1 \subseteq X_2 \subseteq X_3 \subseteq X_4 \ ... \ ... \subseteq X_n\) ... so essentially \(\displaystyle B = X_n\) and hence \(\displaystyle B \in \Sigma\) ... ...

Can you critique my analysis ... pointing out any errors or misunderstandings ...

Peter

Hi Peter,

You are assuming that $\Sigma$ is finite.

If $\Sigma$ is infinite $B$ can be out of it. For example, consider the open sets family $\{U_{n}\}_{n\in \Bbb{N}}$ where $U_{n}=(\frac{1}{n},1)$.

Then $(0,1)=\displaystyle\cup_{n\in \Bbb{N}}U_{n} \neq U_{j}, \ \forall j\in \Bbb{N}$

Fallen Angel said:
Hi Peter,

You are assuming that $\Sigma$ is finite.

If $\Sigma$ is infinite $B$ can be out of it. For example, consider the open sets family $\{U_{n}\}_{n\in \Bbb{N}}$ where $U_{n}=(\frac{1}{n},1)$.

Then $(0,1)=\displaystyle\cup_{n\in \Bbb{N}}U_{n} \neq U_{j}, \ \forall j\in \Bbb{N}$
Hi Fallen Angel ... yes, you are right ... had not thought through the infinite case ... ...

Thanks for all your help regarding this issue ... ...

Peter

Related to Northcott - Proposition 3 - Non-empty Inductive System

1. What is Northcott's Proposition 3?

Northcott's Proposition 3 is a mathematical theorem that states that if a set of natural numbers has the property of being inductively defined, then it must be non-empty. In other words, if a set can be generated by a rule that starts with a base case and can be extended indefinitely, then it must contain at least one element.

2. What is an inductive system?

An inductive system is a set that can be generated by a rule or formula that starts with a base case and can be extended indefinitely. This means that each element in the set can be obtained by applying the rule to the previous element(s) in the set.

3. How is Proposition 3 useful in mathematics?

Proposition 3 is useful in mathematics because it helps to prove the existence of certain sets. It also provides a way to construct infinite sets, which can be used in various mathematical proofs and theories.

4. What are some examples of inductively defined sets?

Some examples of inductively defined sets include the set of natural numbers (starting with 0 or 1 and adding 1 to each subsequent number), the set of even numbers (starting with 0 and adding 2 to each subsequent number), and the set of prime numbers (starting with 2 and adding the next prime number to each subsequent element).

5. Are there any limitations to Proposition 3?

Proposition 3 only applies to sets that can be inductively defined. There may be other sets that are non-empty but cannot be generated in this way. Additionally, Proposition 3 does not provide any information about the size or elements of the set, only that it must contain at least one element.