Notation for basis of tangent space of manifold

In summary, the basis vectors of the tangent space of a manifold are denoted as ∂/∂x_i and can be interpreted as the directional derivative at a point on the image of a curve on the manifold. This notation allows for a concrete representation of the tangent space as a space of partial differential operators. However, unlike the cotangent field dx_i which only depends on the particular vector x_i, the tangent field ∂/∂x_i depends on both the basis and the vector. Additionally, the cotangent space is a dual space to the tangent space, meaning that differential forms in the cotangent space can be applied to vectors in the tangent space to produce a real number.
demonelite123
I sometimes see that the basis vectors of the tangent space of a manifold sometimes denoted as ∂/∂x_i which is the ith basis vector. what i am a little confused about is why is the basis vectors in the tangent space given that notation? is there a specific reason for it?

for example, i know that the basis vectors of the cotangent space of a manifold are denoted by dx_i which can be interpreted as the exterior derivative of the coordinate function f(x1,...,x_n) = x_i. is there something similar that allows one to make sense of the notation ∂/∂x_i?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
The notation can be interpreted as the directional derivative at a point on the image of a curve on the manifold that will, like you said, exist in the tangent space at that point.

demonelite123 said:
I sometimes see that the basis vectors of the tangent space of a manifold sometimes denoted as ∂/∂x_i which is the ith basis vector. what i am a little confused about is why is the basis vectors in the tangent space given that notation? is there a specific reason for it?
One of the ways to concretely represent the tangent space is as a certain space of partial differential operators.

One caveat though. While the cotangent field [itex]dx_i[/itex] depends only on the particular vector [itex]x_i[/itex], the tangent field [itex]\partial/\partial x_i[/itex] depends both on the basis and the vector.

thanks for your replies. another thing is that a differential form in the cotangent space is a linear function that takes a vector in the tangent space and maps it to the reals. then for a vector written in terms of the partial differential operators in the tangent space, applying the differential form to it should produce a real number. how would you take the exterior derivative of a partial differential operator though?

also, since you can apply differential forms to vectors is it true that the partial differential operators (vectors) can be applied to a differential form to get a real number since the two spaces are dual to each other?

1. What is the basis of the tangent space of a manifold?

The basis of the tangent space of a manifold is a set of vectors that span the tangent space at a particular point on the manifold. These vectors represent the directions in which the manifold curves at that point.

2. How is the basis of the tangent space related to the coordinates of the manifold?

The basis of the tangent space is closely related to the coordinates of the manifold. In fact, the basis vectors are often chosen to be the partial derivatives of the coordinates with respect to each coordinate variable. This allows for a convenient way to describe the tangent space in terms of the coordinates.

3. What is the significance of the basis of the tangent space?

The basis of the tangent space is important because it provides a way to describe the local geometry of a manifold. It allows for the calculation of derivatives, which are crucial in many mathematical and scientific applications.

4. How is the basis of the tangent space used in differential geometry?

In differential geometry, the basis of the tangent space is used to define the tangent bundle, which is a vector space that consists of the tangent spaces at all points on the manifold. This allows for the study of smooth curves and surfaces on the manifold.

5. Can the basis of the tangent space change at different points on a manifold?

Yes, the basis of the tangent space can change at different points on a manifold. This is because the tangent space is dependent on the local geometry of the manifold at each point. As the manifold curves and changes direction, the basis vectors also change to reflect this local geometry.