Novice needs evaluation of article on Dendrogramma

• Thread starter Mickey93
  • Start date
  • Tags
    article
In summary, according to this article, researchers suggest that a new phylum be created to house creatures that have a circulatory/digestive system that is fractal in nature. They also suggest that this new phylum may be related to metazoans and that the specimen condition is important for verifying the findings.
Mickey93
Could people with expertise in the relevant field(s) please tell me what you think of the contents of the following article, with a focus on the suggestion that it could lead us to redraw the web of life:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dendrogramma

Many thanks for all replies.

Likes Medicol
Biology news on Phys.org
A new phylum would be really unusual. So I doubt that will happen. What will have to happen is that genomic studies need to be done before someone decides to make that step. DNA gets fudged up in specimens that are preserved in formaldehyde, so the existing ones are not much help in that direction.

Example of formalin and DNA on DNA analysis:
http://www.researchgate.net/post/Any_advice_for_doing_PCR_on_DNA_from_samples_that_were_preserved_with_formaldehyde

Last edited by a moderator:
Jim,

What I find noteworthy is that the same field researchers were unable to find any other specimens on their return to the site. The Wikipedia article doesn't say how many times they returned in the past 28 years, but the fact that it has been 28 years suggests they must have tried multiple times. Now that they have finally published, likely other field researchers will try. Even if no one ever finds any Dendrogramma again, however, the fact that they spent nearly three decades verifying their findings prior to publication gives them a lot of credibility. I'm far from an expert on the history of science, but this isn't the kind of thing I've ever heard of before. Have you?

The level of ignorance we have regarding the ocean depths, particularly benthic organisms is amazing. The diversity down there is mind boggling and we have explored less than 5%. If some scientist from Mars sampled 5% the Earth's land area for terrestrial biota, in the essentially "blind grab" way we sample the oceans, the likelihood is they would not encounter humans in their sampling. Why? For one, large parts of the Arctic and Antarctica are uninhabited by humans. Another example in the US: There are vast areas in New Mexico and Montana that have nobody there. Literally. A few times a year some hardy soul may decide to hike or hunt somewhere in there.

http://oceanservice.noaa.gov/facts/exploration.html

Not finding something is hardly a big deal in this case. Period. Especially since they are trashing the area by dredging. If Dendrogramma requires a special environment they may have wrecked it with the sampling method, so our little beastie lives somewhere else now.

Also consider: Schizaea pusilla, the curly grass fern, is found in the New Jersey Pine Barrens in a few places. Nova Scotia is the next closest location for the fern. Our little buddy may be really particular like the curly grass fern. Or have small pockets of limited numbers of individuals.

I remember reading another article about an aquatic organism that has never been directly observed, let alone had someone collect a specimen of it. All they've found is burrows that analysis shows must have been created by something alive rather than non-biological processes. So, yeah, the deep ocean is a major frontier for research.

This puts an interesting spin on the search for evidence of life on Mars. That's not being done randomly, as there are plans to send landers to what were, billions of years ago, river deltas with liquid water rivers flowing through them. Such missions had to wait until orbital observation of Mars had roughly mapped out the past history of the planet and identified such geological features. I'm looking forward to what the landers find in those former river deltas.

Mickey93 said:
Could people with expertise in the relevant field(s) please tell me what you think of the contents of the following article, with a focus on the suggestion that it could lead us to redraw the web of life:

Many thanks for all replies.
This is not an acceptable way to start a thread. You need to do research of acceptable studies, then if there is something specific you do not understand, then you can ask for clarification on that specific question. Please put some effort into your questions.

Thank you.

Mickey93 said:

As I [not expert, but a layman interested in astrobiology] remember it, the conclusion is that they need fresh specimens, for better ID and for sequencing. And the suggested placement will not "redraw" the topology of the standard tree much, it inserts a stem lineage at the root of Metazoa.

Meanwhile, their suggestion is not bad though the specimen condition is. The fractal branching seen in the circulatory/digestive system (if that is what it is) could be an intermediate between the fractal branching rangiomorphs and the later gliding symmetries of metazoans like Spriggina. (The bodyplan-less Ctenophora and Porifera would also branch before Spriggina, in that order, obviously.) That could, excitingly, suggest that the still unplaced rangiomorphs are members of Metazoa, another small insertion and not a topological upheaval of "redrawing" the standard phylogeny.

1. What is Dendrogramma?

Dendrogramma is a genus of deep-sea animals that was first described in 2014. They have a unique body structure and have been classified as belonging to the kingdom Animalia and phylum Ctenophora.

2. Why is Dendrogramma significant?

Dendrogramma is significant because it represents a new and unique branch on the tree of life. Its discovery has raised questions about the diversity of deep-sea organisms and the potential for new species to be found in unexplored areas.

3. What research has been done on Dendrogramma?

Since its discovery, there have been several studies conducted on Dendrogramma to better understand its anatomy, behavior, and evolutionary history. However, due to its rarity and deep-sea habitat, there is still much to be learned about this species.

4. What is the controversy surrounding Dendrogramma?

Some scientists have questioned whether Dendrogramma is a new species or simply a juvenile form of a known species. Others have raised concerns about the methods used to study and classify Dendrogramma. More research is needed to fully understand this organism and its place in the animal kingdom.

5. What implications does the discovery of Dendrogramma have?

The discovery of Dendrogramma has implications for our understanding of deep-sea ecosystems and the potential for new and unique species to be found. It also highlights the importance of preserving and studying these unexplored areas for future scientific discoveries.