Nuclear Energy discussion thread

In summary, the speaker is a high school student who recently wrote a paper on nuclear energy and is interested in learning more about the topic. They are open to discussing different perspectives on nuclear energy and have found the Nuclear Engineering subforum to be a helpful resource. The conversation ends with the understanding that the topic will be further explored in the subforum and the current thread can be closed.
AndrewAndrew
I am a student at high school who just finished a paper about nuclear energy and I really learned a lot from it. I found the topic interesting and really enjoyed learning about it. I now am searching out more people who know about it and as much information as I can fins while having good discussion to further my perspective of nuclear energy.

Physics news on Phys.org
Initially I am actually for nuclear energy but I am open to discussion for or against that thought and would like to hear others opinions about the topic

If it's information that you're looking for, there are many threads in the Nuclear Engineering subforum here that will of interest. If it's a discussion framed around "for" and "against" that you're looking for, PhysicsForums is probably the wrong place.

Anyways, I see that you've found the Nuclear Engineering subforum, so we can close this thread.

Likes Astronuc

1. What is nuclear energy?

Nuclear energy is a type of energy that is produced by the process of nuclear fission, which is the splitting of atoms. This process releases a significant amount of heat, which is then used to create steam and generate electricity.

2. Is nuclear energy safe?

The safety of nuclear energy is a highly debated topic. While nuclear power plants have numerous safety protocols in place, accidents can still occur. However, compared to other energy sources, nuclear energy is considered to be relatively safe and has a low carbon footprint.

3. What are the benefits of using nuclear energy?

One of the main benefits of nuclear energy is that it is a reliable and constant source of electricity. It also has a low carbon footprint and does not emit greenhouse gases, making it a cleaner alternative to fossil fuels. Additionally, nuclear energy can help reduce dependence on foreign oil and create jobs in the energy sector.

4. What are the drawbacks of using nuclear energy?

One of the main drawbacks of nuclear energy is the potential for accidents, which can have severe consequences for both human health and the environment. There is also the issue of nuclear waste, which is highly radioactive and needs to be stored safely for thousands of years. Critics also argue that the construction and maintenance of nuclear power plants can be costly.

5. What is the future of nuclear energy?

The future of nuclear energy is uncertain, as it is a highly debated and controversial topic. Some countries are investing in new nuclear technologies, while others are phasing out nuclear power in favor of renewable energy sources. The development of new technologies, such as small modular reactors, may play a role in the future of nuclear energy.