Nuclear Physics: charmed baryons

In summary, the conversation discussed the problem of classifying the lightest charmed baryons based on their quark compositions. It was determined that there are three families of baryons: 1/2+ baryons with a spin of 0 for the light quark pair, 1/2+ baryons with a spin of 1 for the light quark pair, and 3/2+ baryons with a spin of 1 for the light quark pair. The individual's frustration with their professor was also mentioned, but they requested help in understanding the first family of baryons.
erogard
Hi,

So I have this problem about baryons:

The lightest charmed baryons have quark compositions cab with zero angular momentum (L_12 = L_3 = 0) where c is the charmed quark and a & b can be any of the light quarks (u, d, s).

Show that the resulting states can be classified into 3 families:

(1) 1/2+ baryons in which the light quark pair ab has spin = 0

(2) 1/2+ baryons in which the light quark pair ab has spin = 1

(3) 3/2+ baryons in which the light quark pair ab has spin = 1I have no idea how to do this. I have what might be the worst professor on Earth for my nuclear physics class, who literally rambles on for an hour and write random stuff on the board without explaining sh*t. It's extremely frustrating. I do have a basic knowledge of quarks however, and their different flavors and properties.

If someone could simply set me on the right track (for #1) so I could continue on my own, I would be infinitely grateful.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi, erogard. Each quarks (u,d,s,c) has spin 1/2 , so the first two light quarks can combine into 2 groups, that is spin 1 and 0. For group of spin 0, baryons with spin 1/2 can be formed by combining with c quark. For group of spin 1, we can form baryons spin 1-1/2=1/2 and 1+1/2=3/2.

If awantae's response seems confusing, you want to review the addition of angular momenta in quantum mechanics. Your QM text probably explicitly works out the case for two spin-1/2 particles.

1. What are charmed baryons?

Charmed baryons are subatomic particles that contain a charm quark and two other quarks, typically an up, down, or strange quark. They are a type of hadron, which are particles that are composed of quarks bound together by the strong nuclear force.

2. How are charmed baryons different from other types of baryons?

Charmed baryons are different from other types of baryons because they contain a charm quark, which is a heavier and more massive quark than the up, down, and strange quarks found in other baryons. This makes charmed baryons more unstable and shorter-lived.

3. What is the significance of studying charmed baryons?

Studying charmed baryons can provide valuable insights into the strong nuclear force and the structure of matter. They can also help us understand the behavior of other subatomic particles and the fundamental forces that govern the universe.

4. How are charmed baryons created and detected in experiments?

Charmed baryons are created in high-energy particle collisions, such as those that occur at particle accelerators. They can be detected by analyzing the particles produced in these collisions and looking for signatures of charmed baryons, such as specific decay products.

5. What are the potential applications of charmed baryons?

Charmed baryons have potential applications in fields such as medical imaging and nuclear energy. Their unique properties make them useful in creating new imaging techniques and in developing more efficient and safer nuclear reactors.