Isospin and Partons model in a pentaquark

In summary, the exercise involves determining the isospin multiplet of a pentaquark and calculating a Gottfried Sum Rule for pentaquark-neutrino or antineutrino scattering. The maximum J state for a pentaquark is J=5/2, but its isospin is I=3/2 due to the presence of only three up/down quarks. The multiplet is a quadruplet with four different states. For the scattering, it is assumed that the collision can only occur with negative-charged particles for 1 and positive-charged particles for 2. The structure functions F(x) are calculated based on the contributions of different quarks and antiquarks. The expression Δ is used
rogdal
Misplaced Homework Thread
TL;DR Summary: Given a pentaquark:
(a) Determine the isospin multiplet it belongs to.
(b) Calculate a kind of a Gottfried Sum Rule for this pentaquark-neutrino or -antineutrino scattering.

Hello everybody,

I'm having a bit of a trouble with the exercise below as it deals with a pentaquark and I think I' a bit lost in the concepts that take place in it.QUESTION

Consider the pentaquark P ≡(b-bar s u u d), where b-bar is the antiquark for b, with orbital angular momentum L = 0.

a) Assuming a space-spin wavefunction that corresponds with the maximum-J state, determine the isospin multiplet I to which P would belong, specifying the flavour composition and the value of (I, I3) for each of the members of the multiplet.

b) Consider the deep inelastic scattering of neutrinos and antineutrinos upon P:

1: νe + P --> e- + X
2: νe-bar + P --> e+ + X'

where X, X' denote a final generic state. Let the structure functions F(x) associated with the incident W+ and W- upon P collisions as:

FW±P(x) ≡ 2(∑q(x) - ∑q-bar(x))

where q(x) and q-bar(x) denote the parton distributrions for quarks and antiquarks respectively. The sums extent upon all the species of quarks q and antiquarks q-bar with which the collision can take place. Calculate the numeric value of the following expression:

Δ ≡ ∫10 [x·FνeP(x)+ x·Fνe-barP(x)]/(2x)dx

Assume the sea contribution of a quark q is equal to the contribution of his antiquark q-bar.ATTEMPT

a) The quarks are spin-1/2 fermions and so the maximum J state for a pentaquark is J = 5/2, as there are 5 quarks that could have +1/2 spin all of them. However, P's isospin is I = 3/2 because it counts on just three up/down quarks. Therefore, the multiplet is a quadruplet:

|b-bar s d d d>; |b-bar s u d d >; |b-bar s u u d>= P ; |b-bar s u u u>

Would this approach be correct?
I don't really understant what the question means by "assuming a space-spin wavefunction that corresponds with the maximum-J state".b) As in F(x), "the sums extent upon all the species of quarks q and antiquarks q-bar with which the collision can take place", for the scattering 1 I have assumed that the collision can only occur with negative-charged particles (analogously for 2, it can only occur with positive-charged particles) and so, I've claimed that:

FνeP(x) = 2(d + s + b - u-bar - c-bar - t-bar)
Fνe-barP(x)] = 2(u' + c' + t' - d-bar - s-bar - b-bar)

Then I cannot find any expression to link both F(x). I don't really understand what the question mean.

Any hint will be appreciated.

Many thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org

RESPONSE:

Hi there,

Isospin and the parton model are both important concepts in understanding the structure of subatomic particles. In the case of a pentaquark, we can use these concepts to determine its properties and behavior in collisions.

a) To determine the isospin multiplet of the pentaquark P, we need to consider its quark composition and spin. As you correctly noted, the maximum J state for a pentaquark with L=0 is J=5/2. However, we also need to consider the isospin of the individual quarks. In this case, P contains three up/down quarks and one antiquark, giving it an isospin of I=3/2. This means that P belongs to a quadruplet multiplet, with (I,I3) values of (3/2, 3/2), (3/2, 1/2), (3/2,-1/2), and (3/2,-3/2). The flavor composition for each member of the multiplet would be the same as P, but with different spins and isospin projections.

b) The deep inelastic scattering of neutrinos and antineutrinos on P involves the exchange of W+ and W- bosons, which carry a charge of +1 and -1 respectively. This means that the collision can only occur with particles that have a charge of -1 (for the neutrino) and +1 (for the antineutrino). In this case, the structure functions F(x) would be given by:

FνeP(x) = 2(d + s + b - u-bar - c-bar - t-bar)
Fνe-barP(x)] = 2(u' + c' + t' - d-bar - s-bar - b-bar)

To calculate the Gottfried sum rule, we need to integrate over the variable x, which represents the fraction of the proton's momentum carried by the parton involved in the collision. This integral gives us the total contribution of all the quarks and antiquarks in the proton to the structure function. The result of this integral, Δ, would give us a measure of the asymmetry between the quarks and antiquarks in the proton.

I hope this helps clarify the concepts involved in this exercise. Keep in mind that these are just simplified models and there may be more complex phenomena at play in

1. What is isospin in the context of the pentaquark?

Isospin is a quantum number that describes the strong nuclear force between protons and neutrons. In the context of the pentaquark, isospin refers to the symmetry between the up and down quarks that make up the pentaquark. This symmetry allows us to classify different types of pentaquarks based on their isospin values.

2. How does the Partons model explain the structure of a pentaquark?

The Partons model is a theoretical framework that describes the internal structure of hadrons, which includes pentaquarks. According to this model, hadrons are made up of smaller particles called partons, which are quarks and gluons. The Partons model helps us understand the properties and behavior of pentaquarks and other hadrons.

3. What is the significance of the pentaquark in particle physics?

The discovery of the pentaquark has opened up new possibilities for understanding the strong nuclear force and the structure of hadrons. It also provides evidence for the existence of exotic particles beyond the traditional quark model. Studying the pentaquark can help us further our understanding of the fundamental building blocks of matter.

4. How are pentaquarks different from other hadrons?

Pentaquarks are different from other hadrons in that they are made up of five quarks instead of the usual three. This makes them more complex and allows for a wider range of possible combinations and properties. Pentaquarks also have a higher mass and are less stable than other hadrons.

5. How do scientists study pentaquarks?

Scientists study pentaquarks by using high-energy particle accelerators to create and observe them. They also use theoretical models, such as the Partons model, to understand their structure and behavior. Additionally, scientists analyze data from experiments and simulations to gather information about pentaquarks and their interactions with other particles.