Nuclear physics: determine the date of the Chernobyl accident

In summary, the activities of fission products 131I and 133I were measured in the air of Gothenburg on April 28, 1986 at 17:00, resulting in 0.12 Bq/m3 and 0.39 Bq/m3, respectively. Using this information, the date of the Chernobyl disaster can be calculated as April 26, 1986 at 03:23:45 a.m. Gothenburg time. The equation used is A(t) = λN0e^(-λt), where A is the activity, N is the number of radioactive nuclei, and N0 is the initial number of nuclei.
Bapelsin

Homework Statement

The acitvities from the fission products 131I and 133I were measured in the air of Gothenburg April 28 1986 at 17:00. The result was 0.12 Bq/m3 and 0.39 Bq/m3 for 131I and 133I respectively. These isotopes came from the Chernobyl nuclear reactor disaster. Use this information to calculate when the reactor container exploded. The relative amount of 131I and 133 produced in the fission of 236U is 2.892 and 6.686 percent respectively.

Homework Equations

t½(131I) = 8 days = 24 x 60 x 60 x 8 seconds = 691200 sec
t½(133I) = 21 hours = 21 x 60 x 60 seconds = 75600 sec

The activity for short-lived nuclides: [tex]A(t)=\lambda N_{0}e^{-\lambda t}[/tex], where [tex]A[/tex] is the acitivity, [tex]N[/tex] the number of radioactive nuclei and [tex]N_{0}=N(t=0)[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

The decay law, numerical values inserted for [tex]^{131}I[/tex] and [tex]^{133}I[/tex] respectively, divided by each other to get rid of [tex]N_{0}[/tex] which is unknown:

[tex]\frac{2.892 \times 0.12}{6.686 \times 0.39}=\frac{e^{-\lambda_{131}t}}{e^{-\lambda_{133}t}}[/tex]

Some algebra gives [tex]t=137707[/tex] seconds. Subtracting this from the given date gives April 27 02:44:53 as the date of the Chernobyl disaster. Wikipedia (for instance) states that the accident happened "26 April 1986 01:23:45 a.m. (UTC+3)" which is the same as April 26, 03:23:45 a.m Gothenburg time. Since my solution is so far off from the actual date I figured I must have done something wrong. Can anybody help me out here, please?

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Dear uppsala student

the equations you can have is:

0.12 = N_o(131) Lambda(131) exp(- Lambda(131) T )

0.39 = N_0(133) Lambda(133) exp(- Lambda(133) T )

and at T = 0:
(N_o(131))/(N_o(133)) = 2.891/6.686

Right?

Now try again

Thanks for you help! I got it right this time! :smile:

Bapelsin said:
Thanks for you help! I got it right this time! :smile:

Great, good luck on the exam

1. What is nuclear physics?

Nuclear physics is the branch of physics that deals with the study of the atomic nucleus, its structure, and the interactions between its components.

2. How do scientists determine the date of the Chernobyl accident using nuclear physics?

Scientists can use nuclear physics techniques such as radiocarbon dating and isotope analysis to determine the date of the Chernobyl accident. By analyzing the radioactive elements present in the surrounding environment, they can estimate the time of the accident.

3. What is radiocarbon dating?

Radiocarbon dating is a technique used to determine the age of organic materials by measuring the amount of radioactive carbon-14 present in the sample. This method is based on the fact that carbon-14 is constantly produced in the atmosphere and is absorbed by living organisms, and the amount of carbon-14 decreases after an organism dies.

4. How does isotope analysis help determine the date of the Chernobyl accident?

Isotope analysis involves measuring the ratio of different isotopes (atoms with the same number of protons but different number of neutrons) in a sample. For example, the ratio of strontium-90 to strontium-89 can indicate the time since a nuclear accident, as strontium-90 is a byproduct of nuclear fission and has a longer half-life than strontium-89.

5. Can nuclear physics also be used to determine the location of a nuclear accident?

Yes, nuclear physics techniques such as gamma-ray spectroscopy and neutron activation analysis can be used to detect and identify radioactive materials present in the environment, which can help pinpoint the location of a nuclear accident.