Radioactive Decay Chernobyl reactor accident

In summary: Using that information, you can find the initial amount of 131I (N0) and then use the equation N(t) = N0e-λt to find the activity after 24 hours of operation. In summary, by using the equations Activity = λ*N(t) and N(t) = N0e-λt, it is possible to calculate the activity of 131I in curies after 24 hours of operation for a reactor of Chernobyl size (1000 MW) given that 1% of fission events produce 131I and each fission event releases an energy of 200 MeV.
Badger4710
Among the radioactive products emitted in the 1986 Chernobyl reactor accident were 131I ( t1/2 = 8.0 d) and 137Cs (t1/2 = 30 y). There are about five times as many 137Cs atoms as 131I atoms produced in fission. (a) Which isotope contributes the greater activity to the radiation cloud? Assume the reactor had been operating continuously for several days before the radiation was released. (b) How long after the original incident does it take for the two activities to become equal? (c) About 1% of fission events produce 131I, and each fission event releases an energy of about 200 MeV. Given a reactor of the Chernobyl size (1000 MW), calculate the activity in curies of 131I after 24 h of operation.

Homework Equations

t1/2 = 1/λ
Activity = λ*N(t)
N(t) = N0e-λt

The Attempt at a Solution

I believe i got the correct answers for parts A and B, but I am stuck on C. I have the equation Activity = λ*N(t), and N(t) = N0e-λt. I'm not sure how to find my value for N0. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
From the power of the reactor and the energy of each fission event, you can find how many fission events occur in a given time, and from that how many 131I there are produced in that given time.

1. What is radioactive decay?

Radioactive decay is the process by which unstable atoms release energy in the form of radiation in order to become more stable. This can occur in a variety of ways, including the emission of alpha, beta, or gamma particles.

2. What caused the Chernobyl reactor accident?

The Chernobyl reactor accident was caused by a combination of human error and design flaws in the RBMK reactor. During a safety test, the operators made critical mistakes that resulted in a power surge and explosion, leading to a fire and release of radioactive material.

3. What were the effects of the Chernobyl reactor accident?

The Chernobyl reactor accident had a significant impact on the environment and human health. It led to the evacuation and resettlement of thousands of people, as well as long-term health effects such as increased rates of cancer and birth defects in the surrounding areas.

4. How does radioactive material from the Chernobyl reactor accident spread?

Radioactive material from the Chernobyl reactor accident can spread through various means, including atmospheric transport, water and soil contamination, and through the food chain. This can result in exposure to radiation for individuals living in affected areas.

5. What measures were taken to contain the radioactive material from the Chernobyl reactor accident?

After the Chernobyl reactor accident, a large concrete structure known as the "sarcophagus" was built to encase the damaged reactor and contain the release of radioactive material. Additionally, efforts were made to clean up contaminated areas and prevent further spread of the material.