Nuclear Reaction: 6.61 MeV Protons Incident on 27/13 Al

In summary, the Q-value is the energy required to make the reaction happen. The incoming proton adds energy to the nucleus to make the ##Si## nucleus. The neutron energy is the energy of the proton less what is required to make the reaction happen.
jjson775
Homework Statement
A beam of 6.61 MeV protons is incident on a target of 27/13 Al. Those that collide produce the reaction:

p + 27/13 Al —-> 27/14 Si + n

27/14 Si has mass 26.986 721 u. Neglecting any recoil of the product nucleus, determine the kinetic energy of the emerging neutrons.
Relevant Equations
Q = (Ma + Mx -My - Mb) c^2
AE00D8BE-0CC7-42B3-AD11-1AD8AE9BCC35.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Have you looked in the table of mass excesses for the nuclei in the reaction to determine the Q-value?

Edit: I just typed table of mass excesses into google, opened the pdf and within the first couple of pages, there is an example of exactly what you need to do.

I haven’t had a problem working with atomic masses for binding/disintegration or reaction energy. I don’t know how to deal with the energetic proton In this particular problem.

OK, you have the expression for the Q value. Do you have the mass of ##^{27}_{13}Al##? What is the meaning of the Q value? What does the incoming proton add to all of this besides its mass? If the ##^{27}_{14}Si## recoil energy is zero, where does the kinetic energy from the proton go?

Using the mass only of the proton, Q is close to zero. So the kinetic energy of the neutron should be very close to the kinetic energy of the proton. Not the right answer.

You have 4 masses: ##p,~n,~^{27}_{13}Al,~^{27}_{14}Si##. You have to add energy to the ##Al## nucleus to make the ##Si## nucleus, so some of the proton energy goes into making the reaction happen. What are you using for the masses of the two nuclei? How much of the proton energy goes into the binding energy of the ##Si## nucleus? Hint: If the proton energy is just at the threshold for the reaction to occur, how much energy will the neutron have?

Last edited:
I think I understand the phenomena but can’t get the right answer and want to make sure I haven’t missed something important. The answer to your hint question is zero. Using a mass of 26.981538 for Al and the mass in the homework statement for Si, I get Q = -6.18 and neutron energy of 0.43 MeV. The answer is supposed to be 1 MeV. See picture attached. The energy of the neutron is the energy of the proton less what is required to make the reaction happen. Thanks for your patience.
86643939-4416-4B20-8C1B-DCF563AEF377.jpeg
86643939-4416-4B20-8C1B-DCF563AEF377.jpeg

1. What is a nuclear reaction?

A nuclear reaction is a process in which the nucleus of an atom is altered, resulting in a change in the number of protons and/or neutrons in the nucleus. This can occur through the absorption or emission of particles, such as protons or neutrons, or through the combination or splitting of nuclei.

2. What is the significance of 6.61 MeV in this nuclear reaction?

6.61 MeV (mega electron volts) is the energy level of the incident protons in this nuclear reaction. This energy is necessary to overcome the binding energy of the nuclei involved and initiate the reaction.

3. What is the target nucleus in this nuclear reaction?

The target nucleus in this nuclear reaction is 27/13 Al, also known as aluminum-27. This means that the nucleus contains 27 protons and 13 neutrons.

4. What is the expected outcome of this nuclear reaction?

The expected outcome of this nuclear reaction is the formation of a new nucleus with a different number of protons and/or neutrons, as well as the release of energy in the form of gamma rays and/or other particles.

5. How is this nuclear reaction relevant in the field of science?

This nuclear reaction is relevant in the field of science because it allows us to understand the fundamental principles of nuclear physics and the behavior of atoms at the subatomic level. It also has practical applications in fields such as energy production, nuclear medicine, and materials science.