Nuclear Reaction - How to determine variables as much as possible

In summary, the conversation discusses the desired study of the first excited state of 16O at an energy of 6.049 MeV and the use of the (alpha, n) reaction on a target of 13C to determine the minimum energy of incident alphas needed to populate the excited state. The formula for the Q-value is mentioned and it is explained how it can be used to calculate the minimum projectile energy needed. The minimum projectile energy is found to be 3.833 MeV.
Chris89
Hey Guys,
exercise: "It is desired to study the first excited state of 16O which is at energy of 6.049 MeV.
Using the (alpha, n) reaction on target of 13C, what is the minimum energy of incident alphas which will populate the excited state?

So, i suggest to define first the reaction equation:
alpha + 13C -> 16O + n where E(16O) = 6,049 MeV

Because we are searching the minimum energy of the alpha, i would define the Q value = 0
(with kinetic energy of particle i = Ti)

-> Tc + Ta = To +Tn
-> Tc + Ta - Tn = 6,049 MeV

How i get more information about the system?
I could use a change of the system from lab-frame(momentum of 13C = 0) to Center of Mass frame(Sum(momentum) = 0)), but i can't see how we determine there more variables with our given informations.

Does somebody know a "trick" to get there more informations of the system to finally get the min. E of alphas?

Best Regards,
Chris

Physics news on Phys.org
To review. The Q-Value is the difference in the total mass -energy of the initial state and that of the final state when the final nucleus state is in its ground state(GS). For this reaction it is +2.216 MeV. If Q value is positive it is the excess mass-energy in the final state. Thus if the projectile particle with no kinetic energy is joined with the target leaving the resultant nuclei in the ground state then 2.2156 Mev is available to be share as kinetic energy between the recoiling O16 and the emitted neutron. If it is negative it is the kinetic energy which the projectile must have which will join the two leaving in the resulting nucleus (in GS) and outgoing particle with no kinetic energy.

Using the notate m and M for ground state masses, p for projectile, t for target, r for resulting nucleus , e for emitted particle, T for kinetic energy and E for energy of an excited state we define the Q-value as

Q = (mp + Mt)c2 - ( me + Mr)c2

Conservation of energy give the equation

(mp + Mt)c2 + Tp = (Mr + me)c2+ Er + Tr + Te

Thus we can write

Q = Tr + Er + Te - Tp

For the minimum projectile energy to populate the excited state solve for Tp and set Te and Tr equal to zero. (Why?)

Thus Tp = Ex - Q. Thus the minimum is projectile energy is 6.049 - 2.216 = 3.833 MeV

1. What is a nuclear reaction?

A nuclear reaction is a process in which the nucleus of an atom is altered, resulting in a change in the composition or energy of the atom.

2. How is the energy released in a nuclear reaction determined?

The energy released in a nuclear reaction is determined by calculating the difference in mass between the reactants and the products, according to Einstein's famous equation E=mc².

3. What are the variables that must be considered when studying a nuclear reaction?

The variables that must be considered when studying a nuclear reaction include the types and properties of the reactants, the energy and momentum of the particles involved, and the conditions under which the reaction takes place.

4. How are the variables in a nuclear reaction experiment controlled?

The variables in a nuclear reaction experiment can be controlled through careful design and planning, precise measurement and manipulation of the reactants, and the use of specialized equipment and techniques.

5. What are the potential applications of understanding nuclear reactions?

Understanding nuclear reactions has numerous potential applications, including energy production, medical treatments, and materials science. It also provides insights into the fundamental laws of physics and the workings of the universe.