Nuclear shell model, spin and parity predictions

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the shell model to predict the spin and parity of nuclei with odd numbers of neutrons. The predicted values differ from the ones in the tables and it is suggested that this may be due to differences in the placement of spin-orbit split levels as seen by neutrons and protons. The conversation also mentions that the shell model is an approximation and there may be exceptions to its rules. Further reading is suggested to better understand the discrepancies in the predicted and observed values.
Incand

Homework Statement

Not exactly a homework problem but I tried to predict the spin and parity of (the ground states of)
##^{89}Sr##,##^{97}Zr## and ##^{137}Ba##
using the shell model and my results seem to differ from the tables.

Homework Equations

Parity
##\pi = (-1)^l##

Figure 4 seems to have the same values as the diagram in my book (Krane)
http://courses.chem.indiana.edu/c460/documents/SEC9ShellModel.pdf

I also found another diagram where some of the energy levels had switched place:
https://www.eng.fsu.edu/~dommelen/quantum/style_a/ntsm.html

The Attempt at a Solution

##^{89}Sr## have ##51## neutrons. Looking at diagram the unpaired neutron is in the ##1g_{7/2}## state. The parity is then ##(-1)^4=1## so we have ##7/2^+##.

##^{97}Zr## have ##57## neutrons. The unpaired neutron is according to the diagram in an ##1g_{7/2}## state so we have ##7/2^+##.

##^{137}Ba## have ##81## neutrons. The unpaired neutron is then in a ##1h_{11/2}## state. We then have ##11/2^-##.

If however I look up the values in table I have:
##^{89}Sr \; \; 5/2^+##
##^{97}Zr \; \; 1/2^+##
##^{137}Ba \; \;3/2^+##.

I'm wondering why I get different values? I suspect I have the wrong diagram, so far every prediction I did with odd number of protons have worked out but not all the ones for neutrons. Is there a difference?

Physics news on Phys.org
Incand said:
I'm wondering why I get different values? I suspect I have the wrong diagram, so far every prediction I did with odd number of protons have worked out but not all the ones for neutrons. Is there a difference?

i think there are a bit different placements of spin orbit splitted levels as seen by neutron and as by protons-
further the rules are general and there are exceptions- moreover the shell model is an approximation and better ones do exist...
i have seen one assignment which you may also look up...ref is given below.

with that i get your odd neutron in N= 51 placed in 2d5/2 a 5/2+ state

N=57 goes to 1/2+ as it opts for 3s1/2 state - the particle tries to go to lowest j value state-leaving option of higher j-state (it has been observed)

N=81 goes to 2d3/2 state 3/2+

ref.
PDF]http://www2.ph.ed.ac.uk/~dwatts1/np3_Lecture8.pdf
www2.ph.ed.ac.uk/~dwatts1/np3_Lecture8.pdf

Shell Model predictions. & single-particle ... J = total angular momentum (nuclear spin) π = parity ... Determine spin and parity assignments for the ground states ... Fornuclei with an odd neutron or proton shell model predicts two possible.

Likes Incand
I think I have misunderstood the shell model. I thought the electrons filled up the lower energy states first in order. I get both the examples and exercise in your link correct. But I don't understand what you did with ##N=57## and ##N=81##. Is this is a general rule that they should fill the lowest ##j## state first or an exception? This doesn't seem to always be the case.

I thought they filled the lower energy levels first so the the ##N=57## nuclei would fill the ##2d5/2## level with ##6## neutrons and have one left for the ##1g7/2## level.

Incand said:
Is this is a general rule that they should fill the lowest jjj state first or an exception? This doesn't seem to always be the case.
Let me correct myself the N=57 (101Ru) state will be 5/2 rather than 3/2 which i wrote.

i do not think its a general rule but by experimental observation of nuclear magnetic moments such behavior is seen.'

if you analyze the magnetic moments one gets a pair of Schmidt's lines for magnetic moment variation with z or N number and most of the nucleons finds a place between those lines..

the pairing energy of the nucleons also plays the role that higher j value states get filled up first and the extra neutron/proton goes to lower j-value state.

e.g. at N=33 for 61Ni the spin is found to be 3/2 and not 5/2 which should be on the basis of diagram

for N=59 (105Pd) observed spin is 5/2 and for N=61 (109Cd) also it is 5/2.
though the higher j value state 1g7/2 is first being filled in pairs.

in certain regions the deformation of the nuclear shell becomes significant and residual inter nucleon interaction plays a role.
so the shell model (as the simplest) can not present the full explanation of experimental values

Last edited:
Likes Incand
Thanks for explaining! It was quite surprising to see that ##101Ru## have different spin from ##97Zr##. I seem to have lot more reading to do before I understand this. It seems what I've been using is only what my book calls the "extreme independent particle" model where only the unpaired nucleon is considered. Apparently I can get better results considering the entire "incomplete" shell.

Likes drvrm

1. What is the nuclear shell model?

The nuclear shell model is a theoretical model used to describe the structure of atomic nuclei. It is based on the idea that nucleons (protons and neutrons) occupy different energy levels or shells within the nucleus, similar to the way electrons occupy different energy levels in an atom. This model helps to explain the stability and properties of different isotopes.

2. How does the nuclear shell model predict spin and parity?

The nuclear shell model predicts spin and parity by assigning each nucleon a specific quantum number based on its energy level and the number of other nucleons in the same energy level. The spin and parity of a nucleus can then be determined by analyzing the arrangement and filling of these energy levels.

3. What is the significance of spin and parity predictions in the nuclear shell model?

Spin and parity predictions are important because they provide information about the structure and behavior of atomic nuclei. They can help scientists understand the stability, decay, and interaction of different nuclei, as well as provide insights into the fundamental forces that govern the behavior of matter.

4. Can the nuclear shell model accurately predict all nuclear properties?

No, the nuclear shell model is not able to predict all nuclear properties. It is a simplified model that does not take into account certain complex interactions between nucleons, such as nuclear forces and correlations. However, it is a useful tool for predicting many nuclear properties and has been successful in explaining many experimental observations.

5. How has the nuclear shell model evolved over time?

The nuclear shell model has evolved over time as new experimental data and theoretical developments have been made. In the early 20th century, the model was first proposed as a way to explain the stability of nuclei. Later, it was expanded to include predictions for spin and parity, and has since been refined to incorporate more complex interactions and accurately predict nuclear properties. Ongoing research continues to improve and expand upon the nuclear shell model.