Possible spins and parities of an odd-odd nucleus

In summary, the formulas used to calculate the angular momentum quantum numbers and the possible nuclear spin levels and parities are correct and can be applied to particles in a potential well.
JeroenL
Homework Statement
Consider the odd-odd nucleus 38Cl , which has 17 protons and 21 neutrons. Its 17th proton sits in the 1d[SUB]3/2[/SUB] orbit, while its 21st neutron is in the 1f[SUB]7/2[/SUB] orbital. Calculate the possible spins and parities of this nucleus.
Relevant Equations
I = total nuclear spin
j = angular momentum of a single nucleon
s = spin of a single nucleon
l = orbital angular momentum
π = parity

I = |j[SUB]1[/SUB] - j[SUB]2[/SUB]| trough j[SUB]1[/SUB] + j[SUB]2[/SUB]
π = (-1)[SUP]l[/SUP]
I'm actually not even 100% sure about the formulas, as in my book they explain j, s and l quite unclearly. Could anyone give me a proper explanation as how to see these and if I'm using them correctly.

What i tried to do was determine the proton and neutron angular momentum, spin and parity.
As the proton is in the 1d3/2, l = 2, j = 3/2, s = +1/2 and π = (-1)2 = +
The neutron is in the 1f7/2, l = 3, j = 7/2, s = -1/2 and π = (-1)3 = -

The possible nuclear spin levels would be 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
The possible nuclear spins would all have parity (-1)(+1) = -

So the possible spins and parities would then be 1-, 2-, 3-, 4-, 5-

Physics news on Phys.org
and that is what I used in the formula.The formula you have used is correct. The angular momentum quantum numbers (l, j and s) are related to the energy levels of a particle in a potential well. l is the orbital angular momentum, which is the motion of the particle around the center of the potential well. j is the total angular momentum, which is the sum of the orbital angular momentum and the spin angular momentum (s). The parity (π) of a particle is related to its angular momentum quantum numbers and is equal to (-1)^l. So for the proton, l = 2, j = 3/2, s = +1/2 and π = (-1)2 = +, while for the neutron, l = 3, j = 7/2, s = -1/2 and π = (-1)3 = -. These angular momentum quantum numbers can then be used to calculate the possible nuclear spin levels and parities. For example, if the total angular momentum j is 3/2, then the possible nuclear spin levels would be 1, 2, 3 and the possible parities would be +, -, -, - respectively.

1. What is an odd-odd nucleus?

An odd-odd nucleus is a type of atomic nucleus that has both an odd number of protons and an odd number of neutrons. This means that the total number of nucleons (protons and neutrons) in the nucleus is an odd number.

2. How does the spin of an odd-odd nucleus affect its properties?

The spin of an odd-odd nucleus can greatly affect its properties, such as its stability and energy levels. This is because the spin of the nucleus is determined by the spins of its individual protons and neutrons, which can interact with each other and influence the overall behavior of the nucleus.

3. What is the possible range of spins and parities for an odd-odd nucleus?

The possible range of spins for an odd-odd nucleus is from 0 to the sum of the individual spins of its protons and neutrons. The possible parities, or intrinsic angular momenta, are determined by the spins of the individual particles and can be either positive or negative.

4. How are the possible spins and parities of an odd-odd nucleus determined?

The possible spins and parities of an odd-odd nucleus are determined by the nuclear shell model, which takes into account the interactions between the individual particles and their energy levels. This model can also predict the most stable configurations for a given odd-odd nucleus.

5. What are some examples of odd-odd nuclei and their spins and parities?

Some examples of odd-odd nuclei include nitrogen-13 (spin=1/2, parity=+) and phosphorus-31 (spin=3/2, parity=-). These values can vary depending on the specific isotopes of the elements, as well as the arrangement of the protons and neutrons within the nucleus.