Nuclear waste - is it possible to use it all via fast reactors?

• Thread starter Jarob22
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Nuclear
In summary: After U and Pu is separated, remaining stuff (fission products and some TUs) is emitting *millions* R/h. Any operations with it are hard. For example, chemical extraction of a non-radioactive element from it needs to be done several times: after first stage impurities make result "a bit" radioactive - "only" thousands R/h. You can easily calculate how many times one needs to repeat the process to arrive at acceptable level of activity (some micro-R/h).
Jarob22
Hi, first poster here :$

I'm doing a case study on nuclear waste and was wondering whether it's possible to use all (or a large percentage of) the dangerous nuclear waste we currently dump, as fuel in fast reactors? Sorry if it's a stupid question to you but I don't know all that much about nuclear power :)

Engineering news on Phys.org
Jarob22 said:
Hi, first poster here :$

I'm doing a case study on nuclear waste and was wondering whether it's possible to use all (or a large percentage of) the dangerous nuclear waste we currently dump, as fuel in fast reactors? Sorry if it's a stupid question to you but I don't know all that much about nuclear power :)
The actual waste - fission products - are not used as fuel, or are they useful as fuel. Much of the spent (used) fuel consists of unused uranium (U-235 or U-238) or transuranics (TU), e.g., isotopes of Pu, Am, Cm. Those elements have been proposed for use as fuel in fast reactors.

In most commercial light water reactors, about 5% of the fuel is used. The remaining fuel is unused while some (few %) is converted to TU isotopes.

I see - I'm just reading that these fission products can be used for other industrial and medical uses (though it doesn't cite what these uses are) - is it at all possible to use up a large %age of these fission products in other procsses? Or will we have to bury most of the fission waste?

Jarob22 said:
I see - I'm just reading that these fission products can be used for other industrial and medical uses (though it doesn't cite what these uses are) - is it at all possible to use up a large %age of these fission products in other procsses? Or will we have to bury most of the fission waste?
In the US, the eventual disposal of spent (used) fuel has not been determined. Some want to place spent fuel in a respository, direct disposal, while others wish to reprocess (recover) the unused fuel and TU component. The rest of the spent fuel, i.e., fission products would be vitrified into a stable form and deposited into a repository.

Still others proposed to use accelerator driven systems to transmute spent fuel to shorter-lived nuclides prior to final disposal.

Some of the fission products (those which are not radioactive) would be useful for industrial purposes, but the problem is that they would have to be separated chemically from their radioactive relatives and other fission products.

Astronuc said:
Some of the fission products (those which are not radioactive) would be useful for industrial purposes, but the problem is that they would have to be separated chemically from their radioactive relatives and other fission products.

And I guess that's very expensive, right?

Jarob22 said:
It's energy intensive and must be done remotely. That = expensive.

Laser isotopic separation helps reduce the cost somewhat.

Ah right. Thanks for your help :)

Jarob22 said:

After U and Pu is separated, remaining stuff (fission products and some TUs) is emitting *millions* R/h. Any operations with it are hard. For example, chemical extraction of a non-radioactive element from it needs to be done several times: after first stage impurities make result "a bit" radioactive - "only" thousands R/h. You can easily calculate how many times one needs to repeat the process to arrive at acceptable level of activity (some micro-R/h).

1. What is nuclear waste?

Nuclear waste is the radioactive material that is produced during nuclear power generation, nuclear weapon production, and other nuclear processes. It consists of spent nuclear fuel, which is the fuel rods used in nuclear reactors, as well as other byproducts and materials that have been contaminated by radiation.

2. Can nuclear waste be used in fast reactors?

Yes, nuclear waste can be used in fast reactors. Fast reactors use a different type of nuclear reaction called a fast neutron reaction, which can utilize the radioactive materials found in nuclear waste as fuel. This process is known as nuclear fuel recycling or reprocessing.

3. How does using fast reactors help with nuclear waste?

Using fast reactors to recycle nuclear waste can help reduce the amount of nuclear waste that needs to be stored and disposed of. It can also help lessen the environmental impact of nuclear waste, as the waste will be used as fuel instead of being stored for thousands of years.

4. Is it safe to use nuclear waste in fast reactors?

Using nuclear waste in fast reactors is generally considered safe. However, as with any nuclear process, proper safety measures must be taken to prevent accidents and protect the environment. The International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) has strict safety guidelines and regulations for the use of fast reactors and nuclear waste recycling.

5. Are there any disadvantages to using fast reactors for nuclear waste?

While using fast reactors for nuclear waste has many benefits, there are also some potential disadvantages. These include the high cost of building and maintaining fast reactors, as well as the potential for nuclear proliferation if the recycled nuclear material falls into the wrong hands. Additionally, there are concerns about the long-term storage of nuclear waste from fast reactors, as it may still contain some radioactive material.