Solve the Mystery of Equational Division in Cell Division

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of equational division during mitosis, where the DNA content is halved but the number of chromosomes remains the same in the daughter cells. This is because each daughter cell receives one copy of the maternal chromosome and one copy of the paternal chromosome. The daughter cells will have the same amount of DNA as the mother cell did during the G1 phase before DNA replication.
gracy

Homework Statement

First question of this particular page
http://www.hourlybook.com/ncert-questions-pmts-cell-cycle-cell-division/

Homework Equations

the answer is given as C.

The Attempt at a Solution

But i didn't understand because in last phase i.e D dna content is again reduced to 2c.But in mitosis I have studied that it is equational division so each daughter cell after mitosis should have 4C DNA content not 2C. I think it is called equational division just because (1)number of chromosome remains same but DNA content is halved after mitosis.
(2)Each daughter cell has same number of chromosome as mother cell but half amount of DNA as compared to mother cell.
(3)Ploidy is related to number of chromosome not with DNA content
am I right?

Physics news on Phys.org
gracy said:
(1)number of chromosome remains same but DNA content is halved after mitosis.
(2)Each daughter cell has same number of chromosome as mother cell but half amount of DNA as compared to mother cell.

The 4C refers to total DNA content, which is halved during mitosis. The original cell contains four copies of each chromosome: two identical copies of the maternal chromosome and two identical copies of the paternal chromosome. The daughter cells will each contain one copy of the maternal chromosome and one copy of the paternal chromosome. The daughter cells each have a full set of chromosomes, but the chromosomes will be present in two copies per cell rather than four copies per cell.

Likes gracy
Daughter chromosomes have same amount of DNA as mother cell had before S phase i.e before DNA replication.
https://uploads.intercomcdn.com/i/o/1643674/83263cf693d63c154488f9a5/TAKE.png
right?

Yes, right after cell division, the daughter cells will have the same amount of DNA as the mother cell did during the G1 phase (before DNA replication).

Likes gracy
Thanks for replying .I thought my thread would be deleted.

1. How does cell division occur?

Cell division occurs through a process called mitosis, where a single cell divides into two identical daughter cells. This is an essential process for growth, development, and repair in multi-cellular organisms.

2. What is equational division in cell division?

Equational division, also known as mitotic division, is the process in which the nucleus of a cell divides into two identical daughter nuclei. This is the second stage of cell division, following the division of the cell's cytoplasm in cytokinesis.

3. What happens during equational division?

During equational division, the DNA in the nucleus of a cell is replicated and then distributed equally between the two daughter cells. This ensures that each new cell receives a complete set of genetic information.

4. What role does equational division play in the cell cycle?

Equational division is a crucial step in the cell cycle, which is the series of events that a cell goes through as it grows and divides. It is the process by which a single cell becomes two identical cells, allowing for growth, repair, and reproduction.

5. What are the consequences of errors in equational division?

Errors in equational division can lead to genetic mutations, which can result in abnormal cell growth and development. This can potentially lead to diseases such as cancer. It is essential for equational division to occur accurately to maintain the genetic integrity of the organism.