Number of Coulombs question

• Thread starter DrummingAtom
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Coulombs
In summary, the question is not well posed and there is no definite answer to the maximum number of coulombs that can flow through a 15A breaker before it trips. The maximum number of coulombs is indefinite as long as the current does not exceed the breaker's rating. However, if the question is asking for the maximum number of coulombs per second, then a time reference would be necessary.
DrummingAtom

Homework Statement

Given a 15A breaker, what is the max number of coulombs that can flow through before the breaker trips?

Homework Equations

i = dq/dt
A = C/s

The Attempt at a Solution

No time value is given so I can't integrate dq = i dt from any limits.

Is the right thing to just say it's 15 coulombs if we assume that the breaker will trip in a second?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
DrummingAtom said:

Homework Statement

Given a 15A breaker, what is the max number of coulombs that can flow through before the breaker trips?

Homework Equations

i = dq/dt
A = C/s

The Attempt at a Solution

No time value is given so I can't integrate dq = i dt from any limits.

Is the right thing to just say it's 15 coulombs if we assume that the breaker will trip in a second?

Thanks

I think you need a time reference. If 1 Coulomb went through in a billionth of a second that should trip it?

The question is not well posed. Surely, the current can flow indefinitely as long as it doesn't ever exceed the breaker's rating, thus the maximum coulombs would be indefinite.

Now, if the question wanted to know the maximum number of coulombs per second, that would be a horse of different color!

If the current is less than (or equal to) 15 A, then the circuit breaker shouldn't trip at all. The number of coulombs that can flow through the circuit breaker is limited only by the amount of time the current flows.

There is no time reference, which is why I'm pulling my hair out. I'll disregard this one. Thanks everyone.

1. What is the unit of measurement for electric charge?

The unit of measurement for electric charge is Coulombs. This unit is named after the French physicist Charles-Augustin de Coulomb who first defined the concept of electric charge.

2. How is the number of Coulombs calculated?

The number of Coulombs is calculated by multiplying the electric current in Amperes (A) by the time in seconds (s). This can be represented by the formula: Q = I x t, where Q is the charge in Coulombs, I is the current in Amperes, and t is the time in seconds.

3. Can the number of Coulombs be negative?

Yes, the number of Coulombs can be negative. This indicates the direction of the flow of electric charge. A negative number of Coulombs means that the charge is moving in the opposite direction of the conventional current flow.

4. What is the significance of the number of Coulombs in electricity?

The number of Coulombs is a fundamental quantity in electricity that represents the amount of electric charge. It is used in various equations and formulas to calculate and understand the behavior of electric currents and charges in different systems.

5. How can the number of Coulombs affect electronic devices?

The number of Coulombs is directly related to the amount of electric charge in a system. Excessive number of Coulombs can cause damage to electronic devices by overloading them with electricity. It is important to properly manage and control the number of Coulombs in electronic circuits to prevent damage.