How to calculate the Coulomb barrier between a proton and a lithium nucleus

In summary, to calculate the Coulomb barrier between a proton and a lithium nucleus, you can use the equation UCoul = kZ1Z2e2/r where r is the interaction radius. The known data needed for this calculation are Z1, Z2, k (Coulomb constant), and e (elementary charge). The interaction radius is the sum of the nuclear radius of lithium and the radius of a proton. After plugging in all the numbers, the answer should come out in Joules. However, the provided calculation resulted in 7.66eV, which may be incorrect. It is recommended to double check the calculations and powers of 10.
eigenmax

Homework Statement

How to calculate the Coulomb barrier between a proton and a lithium nucleus. The variable is r (interaction radius). The known data is Z1, Z2, k (Coulomb constant), and e (elementary charge).

Homework Equations

The equation is UCoul = kZ1Z2e2/r

The Attempt at a Solution

I used the sum of lithium's atomic radius and the radius of a proton as the interaction radius. I got 1.5200084x10-10m. I plugged in all the numbers and got 4.552437x10-18 as my Coulomb barrier, which I think is incorrect.

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to consider the nuclear not the atomic radius of lithium.

Likes Dr. Courtney
Ok, thanks. The nuclear radius of lithium is 4.8fm and the radius of a proton is 0.85fm. That gives an interaction radius of 5.65fm, or 5.65x10-15. Plugging in the new numbers gives 1.224733x10-13, which is still incorrect.

What do you believe to be the correct answer? Please include units.

I would think the answer to be around 350keV

And in what units is 1.224733x10-13?

eV

eigenmax said:
eV
Nope. If you use the equation and the numbers that you provided, the answer comes out in Joules.

Oh, ok. Sorry. That comes out to be 7.66eV. That seems awfully low. One can't run a proton accelerator on 7.66 volts.

eigenmax said:
Oh, ok. Sorry. That comes out to be 7.66eV. That seems awfully low. One can't run a proton accelerator on 7.66 volts.
It's more than that. Recheck your powers of 10.

1. How is the Coulomb barrier between a proton and a lithium nucleus calculated?

The Coulomb barrier between a proton and a lithium nucleus can be calculated using the formula F = kQ1Q2/r2, where F is the force of interaction, k is the Coulomb's constant, Q1 and Q2 are the charges of the proton and lithium nucleus respectively, and r is the distance between them.

2. What is the significance of the Coulomb barrier in nuclear reactions?

The Coulomb barrier is an energy barrier that must be overcome in order for two particles to undergo a nuclear reaction. It represents the repulsive force between two positively charged particles, and the higher the barrier, the more energy is required for the reaction to occur.

3. Is the Coulomb barrier the only factor that affects nuclear reactions?

No, the Coulomb barrier is not the only factor that affects nuclear reactions. Other factors such as the strong nuclear force, the shape and energy of the particles, and the quantum mechanical effects also play a role in determining the outcome of a nuclear reaction.

4. Can the Coulomb barrier be manipulated or controlled?

The Coulomb barrier is a fundamental force of nature and cannot be manipulated or controlled. However, in certain cases, such as in nuclear fusion reactions, the barrier can be lowered by increasing the temperature and pressure of the reacting particles.

5. How does the Coulomb barrier change with increasing atomic number?

The Coulomb barrier increases with increasing atomic number as the positive charge of the nucleus also increases. This means that heavier elements require more energy to overcome the barrier and undergo nuclear reactions compared to lighter elements.