Number of electrons emitted photoelectrically

• Thread starter PhysicsTest
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Electrons
In summary, based on the information provided, if 10,000 photons illuminate then 10000 electrons will be emitted.
PhysicsTest
Homework Statement
A certain photo surface has a spectral sensitivity of 6mA/W of incident radiation of wavelength 2,537 A. How many electrons will be emitted photoelectrically by a pulse of radiation consisting of 10,000 photons of this wavelength?
Relevant Equations
##\lambda=\frac{1.24} {E_G}##
Spectral response : ##\lambda=\frac{1.24} {E_G}## ->eq(1)
Given, ##\lambda = 2537 * 10^{-10} m = 0.2537\mu m ##
##E_G = \frac{1.24} {\lambda} = \frac{1.24} {0.2537} = 4.88 eV##
1610509399461.png

So, i can assume if 10,000 photons illuminate then 10000 electrons will be emitted. But i am mainly confused with the value of 6mA/W. I think need to convert it into eV to know the cutoff wavelength at which the electron can be excited?

Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
PhysicsTest said:
So, i can assume if 10,000 photons illuminate then 10000 electrons will be emitted.
Based on what, precisely ?

From the text it says if a photon of high energy illuminates then an electron-hole pair can be created. Based on that if the 10,000 photons have sufficient energy then 10,000 electrons can be generated, that is the idea. Am i correct?

PhysicsTest said:
From the text it says if a photon of high energy illuminates then an electron-hole pair can be created. Based on that if the 10,000 photons have sufficient energy then 10,000 electrons can be generated, that is the idea. Am i correct?
PhysicsTest said:
View attachment 276153
So, i can assume if 10,000 photons illuminate then 10000 electrons will be emitted.
[Minor edit.]

No, you can't assume this. If this were true, the answer to the original question would simply be 10,000!

Your attachment says ‘can be created’ and uses the word ‘may’, indicating the process is not 100% efficient. For 10,000 photons, *less than* 10,000 electrons will be released.

Note that the original question is basically about knocking out-electrons from the surface of a conductor. Your attachment seems to be about exciting electrons inside a semiconductor, creating electron-hole pairs. You are mixing up two different (though related) processes - which is a potential cause of confusion.

Here are 3 questions for you to consider:
1) What is the energy in the 10000 photons?
2) Suppose the pulse of radiation lasts t seconds, what power (in watts) is delivered by the pulse? (The answer will be an expression which includes ‘t’.)
3) Using the given sensitivity (6mA/W) what current is produced during the t seconds? (The answer will be an expression which includes ‘t’.)

If you can answer those, you are well on the way to completing the question.

Likes PhysicsTest
They give you the spectral sensitivity in amperes/watt, and that is the same as coulombs/joule. The two ways of stating the units are identical. (These same units are also useful in working with photodiodes).

Last edited:
Likes PhysicsTest and Steve4Physics
Steve4Physics said:
Here are 3 questions for you to consider:
1) What is the energy in the 10000 photons?
If i use the eq(1) in post 1. Then the energy of let ##n## photons is ##E_G= \frac{1.24n} {\lambda} ## eV ->eq2
Steve4Physics said:
2) Suppose the pulse of radiation lasts t seconds, what power (in watts) is delivered by the pulse? (The answer will be an expression which includes ‘t’.)
##E=P*t = P=\frac{E} {t}## ->eq3.1
##P = \frac{1.24n} {\lambda t}## ->eq3.2
Steve4Physics said:
3) Using the given sensitivity (6mA/W) what current is produced during the t seconds? (The answer will be an expression which includes ‘t’.)
##I^2 R = \frac{1.24n} {\lambda t}## -> eq4.1
R is resistance
##I = \sqrt{(\frac{1.24n} {\lambda Rt})}## ->eq4.2
If ##s## is the sensitivity
##s = \frac{I} {P}## ->eq5.1
I am not sure if i am proceeding correctly?

3.2) I agree

4.1) you bring in ##R## which is not present in the problem. Instead you want to take the power in Watts from 3.2 and multiply with 6 mA/Watt

Likes PhysicsTest
Ok, the current is then if ##s## is the sensitivity
##I = P*s## using eq3.2
##I = \frac{1.24ns}{\lambda t} ## ->eq5.2
If i use the definition of current as ##I =\frac{Q} {t}##
##Q = \frac{1.24ns} {\lambda} ## ->eq5.3
The number of electrons is
##\frac{Q} {q} = \frac{1.24ns} {\lambda q}## ->eq5.4

##P## is not in Watts yet !

Likes PhysicsTest and Steve4Physics
PhysicsTest said:
Ok, the current is then if ##s## is the sensitivity
##I = P*s## using eq3.2
##I = \frac{1.24ns}{\lambda t} ## ->eq5.2
If i use the definition of current as ##I =\frac{Q} {t}##
##Q = \frac{1.24ns} {\lambda} ## ->eq5.3
The number of electrons is
##\frac{Q} {q} = \frac{1.24ns} {\lambda q}## ->eq5.4
Just to expand on what @BvU said (Post #9)...

Your overall logic is correct. But if you are going to put values into a formula, units must match

Sensitivity is given in SI units. In the SI system a watt means 1 joule/second. So you can't use the value of photon energy in unts of eV, it must be in joules.

Likes Charles Link and PhysicsTest
Yes, I always get confused with the units, the equation 3.2 now modified into
##P = \frac{1.24nq} {\lambda t} ## Watts
The number of electrons is then
##\frac{1.24ns} {\lambda}##

I wholeheartedly second @Steve4Physics :

You have a tendency to use expressions without paying attention to the units, thereby creating an abundance of error opportunities. Striking example is the single relevant equation in post #1: ##\lambda=\frac{1.24} {E_G}## where you not only have to remember the expression, but also that ##\lambda## has to be expressed in microns. This is all very well if you are a professional spectroscopist (although some do everything in cm-1), but not for a general physicist or student.

I urgently recommend you to use SI units unless explicitly mentioned otherwise, and to remember the basic expressions in the simplest possible form in SI units.

In particular, for this exercise:
$$\begin{align}E &= h\nu\\c &= \lambda \nu \end{align}$$
so that ##\ \ ##10 k photons is ##\ \ 10^4 \ \displaystyle {hc\over \lambda}\ ## J

Multiply with 6 mA/W = 6 mC/J and you have the number of Coulombs per 10k photons.

Divide by e and there's your answer. So simple !
PhysicsTest said:
Yes, I always get confused with the units, the equation 3.2 now modified into
##P = \frac{1.24nq} {\lambda t} ## Watts
The number of electrons is then
##\frac{1.24ns} {\lambda}##
And how do you check the dimensions in this answer ?

Last edited:
Likes Steve4Physics and Charles Link

1. What is the "photoelectric effect"?

The photoelectric effect is a phenomenon in which electrons are emitted from a material when it is exposed to light. This was first observed by Heinrich Hertz in 1887 and later explained by Albert Einstein in 1905.

2. How does the number of electrons emitted photoelectrically depend on the intensity of light?

The number of electrons emitted photoelectrically is directly proportional to the intensity of light. This means that as the intensity of light increases, the number of electrons emitted also increases. This relationship is known as the direct proportionality law.

3. What factors affect the number of electrons emitted photoelectrically?

The number of electrons emitted photoelectrically is affected by the frequency of light, the intensity of light, and the work function of the material. Higher frequencies and intensities of light, as well as lower work functions, result in a higher number of electrons being emitted.

4. How does the number of electrons emitted photoelectrically change with the type of material used?

The number of electrons emitted photoelectrically varies depending on the type of material used. Materials with lower work functions, such as metals, tend to emit more electrons compared to materials with higher work functions, such as non-metals.

5. What is the significance of the number of electrons emitted photoelectrically in modern technology?

The photoelectric effect has many practical applications in modern technology, such as solar panels, photodiodes, and photocells. The number of electrons emitted photoelectrically is crucial in determining the efficiency of these devices and their ability to convert light energy into electrical energy.