Number of independent entries of a matrix

In summary, the conversation discusses the method of determining the number of independent parameters a given matrix has. For a general, real, n x n matrix, there are n^2 entries. For an orthogonal matrix, there are n conditions that the rows must satisfy (normalized) and n(n-1)/2 conditions for the rows to be orthogonal. This leaves n(n-1)/2 degrees of freedom for the entries of the matrix. This counting method can also be applied for other constraints, such as requiring a matrix to be symmetric.
kent davidge
Is there an easy way to figure out the number of independent parameters a given matrix has?

For example, a general, real, n x n matrix has n^2 entries and that's easy to realize cause we have a squared array of real numbers. What if this matrix is orthogonal?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
For an orthogonal matrix:
Consider the rows, call them ##A_i, i = 1,...,n##. You have the requirement that the rows are normalized, ##A_i A_i^T = 1## for all i. That's ##n## conditions.

And you have that ##A_i A_j^T = 0## for all ##i \neq j##. That's ##n(n-1)/2## conditions. So I believe that removes ##n + n(n-1)/2## degrees of freedom from the entries of ##A##, leaving ##n^2 - n - n(n-1)/2 ## ##= n(n - 1) - n(n-1)/2## ##= n(n-1)/2##. Of course those are nonlinear constraints so I'm not sure the arithmetic must work out exactly that way.

But assuming that it does, then a 2 x 2 has one degree of freedom and a 3 x 3 has three. Are the most general 2 x 2 and 3 x 3 matrices rotation matrices? I think so, and that would make sense. A 2 x 2 rotation matrix has one parameter, the angle. A 3 x 3 rotation matrix has two angles specifying the direction of the rotation axis, and a third expressing the amount of rotation.

You can definitely do this kind of counting for linear constraints. For instance, requiring that a matrix be symmetric , ##a_{ij} = a_{ji}## for ##j \neq i## means that you have ##n^2 - n(n-1)/2## ## = n^2 - (n^2/2) + (n/2)## ## = (n^2/2) + (n/2)## ## = n(n+1)/2## free parameters, the upper triangle (or lower triangle) of the matrix.

Likes kent davidge
kent davidge said:
Is there an easy way to figure out the number of independent parameters a given matrix has?

For example, a general, real, n x n matrix has n^2 entries and that's easy to realize cause we have a squared array of real numbers. What if this matrix is orthogonal?
How many conditions do you get out of ##A^\tau\cdot A=I\,?##

1. What does the number of independent entries of a matrix represent?

The number of independent entries of a matrix represents the number of unique values that are necessary to fully describe the matrix. These values are also known as the degrees of freedom of the matrix.

2. How is the number of independent entries of a matrix calculated?

The number of independent entries of a matrix can be calculated by taking the product of the number of rows and columns of the matrix. For example, a 3x3 matrix would have 9 independent entries.

3. How does the number of independent entries of a matrix relate to its rank?

The number of independent entries of a matrix is equal to its rank. The rank of a matrix is the maximum number of linearly independent rows or columns in the matrix. Therefore, the rank and number of independent entries of a matrix are directly related.

4. Can the number of independent entries of a matrix change?

Yes, the number of independent entries of a matrix can change depending on the operations performed on the matrix. For example, if two rows or columns are added together, the number of independent entries would decrease by one.

5. Why is the concept of independent entries important in matrix algebra?

The concept of independent entries is important in matrix algebra because it helps us understand the dimensionality of a matrix and its linear transformations. It also allows us to determine the rank of a matrix, which is a crucial factor in solving systems of linear equations and finding the inverse of a matrix.