Number of links and joints in a linkage

In summary, the given equation M = 3(L – 1) – 2J is used to determine the value of M for different values of L and J, representing the number of links and joints in a linkage system. However, there is confusion regarding the values of L and J for certain linkages. For the first and second linkages, L = 4 and J = 3 respectively, despite there being only 3 links and 2 links respectively. Similarly, for the bottom left linkage, L = 5 even though there are only 4 links, and for the bottom right linkage, L = 4 and J = 3, even though there are only 2 links and 2 joints. This is
influx

Homework Statement

23eae7.png

Homework Equations

M = 3(L – 1) – 2J

L= number of links, J = number of joints

The Attempt at a Solution

As far as I can see, using the above L and J values for each linkage yields the correct M value. However, the L and J values lead me to think I'm missing something.

Can someone explain why L = 4 for the first and second linkages? In the first one there are only 3 links and in the second linkage there are only 2 links. Also, surely for the second one J = 3 since there are only 3 visible joints?

Similarly, why does L = 5 for the bottom left linkage when there are only 4 links and why does L = 4 and J = 3 for the bottom right linkage when there are only 2 links and only 2 joints?

Physics news on Phys.org
influx said:
Can someone explain why L = 4 for the first and second linkages? In the first one there are only 3 links and in the second linkage there are only 2 links. Also, surely for the second one J = 3 since there are only 3 visible joints?

Similarly, why does L = 5 for the bottom left linkage when there are only 4 links and why does L = 4 and J = 3 for the bottom right linkage when there are only 2 links and only 2 joints?
In the first three, there is effectively a link between the two fixed platforms. The distance between them cannot change.
The last one has three joints: one at the base, the slider itself, and a third at the top of the slider.
I don't see a fourth link, but I know nothing of this subject so could be missing something.

1. How do I determine the number of links in a linkage?

The number of links in a linkage can be determined by counting the number of rigid bodies or segments that make up the structure. Each link is typically connected by joints, and the number of links is equal to the number of joints minus one.

2. What is the purpose of having a specific number of links in a linkage?

The number of links in a linkage determines the type and range of motion that can be achieved. A higher number of links can result in more complex and precise movements, while a lower number of links may limit the range of motion.

3. How does the number of links affect the stability of a linkage?

The number of links can affect the stability of a linkage by changing the distribution of forces and torques within the structure. Generally, a higher number of links can result in a more stable linkage, while a lower number of links may make it more prone to tipping or collapsing.

4. Can the number of links in a linkage be changed or modified?

Yes, the number of links in a linkage can be changed by adding or removing segments or by using adjustable joints. However, these modifications may also alter the overall performance and stability of the linkage.

5. Are there any limitations to the number of links and joints in a linkage?

There are no specific limitations to the number of links and joints in a linkage, but there are practical considerations such as weight, size, and complexity. Additionally, the design and functionality of the linkage may also determine the optimal number of links and joints needed.