Calculating noise of a transducer from molecular vibration

In summary: I have found that many online calculators give noise levels in dBm or μV/√Hz, but I'm not sure how to convert that to nV/√Hz.
curiously new
TL;DR Summary
Searching for a noise floor figure to compare to op-amp noise floor (nV per square root Hertz).
I'd like approximate the noise floor of an ultrasonic air transducer starting from molecular vibrations.

Simply put, if I treat atmospheric air as an ideal gas and I confine each air molecule to exist in a volumetric cube with a square face ##A_\mathrm{face}##, then I approximate the number of air molecules that are abutted against a transducer's element with area ##A_\mathrm{T}## by $$n=\frac{A_\mathrm{T}}{A_\mathrm{face}} .$$ Now, if I assume the rough estimate that an air molecule travels on average at a velocity ##v##, then I can approximate the frequency of total collisions against the transducer's element by $$f=\frac{1}{6}\frac{1}{t}n=\frac{n}{6}\frac{v}{\sqrt{A_\mathrm{face}}}=\frac{1}{6}\frac{vA_\mathrm{T}}{A_\mathrm{face}^{3/2}} ,$$ where we divide by six because only a single side of each molecule's volumetric cube is abutted against the element.

Then, I can assume that this frequency varies as Gaussian whose standard deviation ##\sigma## is the square root of the frequency, which is the variation in the number of collisions. Then, I could say that my noise ##N## is given by $$N=\sqrt{f}$$ in units square root Hertz (##\sqrt{\text{Hz}}##).

So, I would like to compare this noise floor against the noise floor approximation of an op-amp, which are usually given in units ##\text{nV}/\sqrt{\text{Hz}}##. My task lies in understanding how to translate this frequency of collisions (in square root Hertz) into a comparable unit to the op-amp's noise floor. Should I consider the momentum energy transferred by each molecule upon the element to get a pressure that I can then use a transducer's conversion factor (usually ##\text{V}/\mu\text{bar}=\text{dB}##) to convert?

Physics news on Phys.org
I am puzzeled by why you think that the random collisions of air molecules are the source of noise for your sensor. Afik the sources of noise in integrated pressure sensors are shot noise and 1/f noise. Shot noise is the result of non-uniform flow of carriers across a junction and is independent of temperature. The second, 1/f, results from crystal defects and also due to wafer processing. This noise is proportional to the inverse of frequency and is more dominant at lower frequencies. However, you can test your hypothieses if you have access to a vacuum chamber. You could measure the noise floor of your sensor as a function of increasing pressure. If the noise floor rises with increasing pressure, then maybe your on to something.

Likes curiously new and berkeman
That is interesting, and I will look into that experiment. I'm working in the ultrasonic range around 40 kHz with a a bandwidth of about 2 kHz. At these frequencies, I have just assumed that 1/f noise was negligible. However, I hadn't given much thought to the shot noise. Thank you for your comments.

My larger concern, however, is trying to tie my calculation for the noise back into a comparable with the op-amp's noise floor.

1. What is a transducer and how does it relate to molecular vibration?

A transducer is a device that converts one form of energy into another. In the context of molecular vibration, a transducer is used to measure the vibrations of molecules and convert them into an electrical signal that can be analyzed and interpreted.

2. How is noise calculated for a transducer measuring molecular vibration?

Noise in a transducer is typically calculated by measuring the standard deviation of the electrical signal generated by the transducer over a period of time. This value is then compared to the signal generated by a known source of noise, such as thermal noise, to determine the overall noise level of the transducer.

3. What factors affect the noise level of a transducer measuring molecular vibration?

The noise level of a transducer can be affected by a variety of factors, including the sensitivity of the transducer, the quality of the electrical components, and the environmental conditions in which the transducer is being used. Additionally, the type and intensity of the molecular vibrations being measured can also impact the noise level.

4. How can the noise level of a transducer be reduced?

There are several ways to reduce the noise level of a transducer measuring molecular vibration. One method is to improve the design and construction of the transducer to increase its sensitivity and reduce interference from external sources. Another approach is to use signal processing techniques, such as filtering or averaging, to reduce the impact of noise on the measured signal.

5. How accurate are noise calculations for transducers measuring molecular vibration?

The accuracy of noise calculations for transducers can vary depending on the specific device and measurement techniques used. However, with careful calibration and proper testing, it is possible to achieve high levels of accuracy in noise calculations for transducers measuring molecular vibration.