How Many Photons Are in Each Bit of a 10 Gb/s Optical Signal?

In summary, an optical communication system operating at λ = 1550nm is transmitting pulses at 10 Gb/s. The average optical power is 10 mW and the energy per photon is 1.28x10-19. To calculate the number of photons received within each bit, we can use the formula Eb/Ep, where Eb is the energy per bit and Ep is the energy per photon. This gives us a result of 78 million photons per bit. However, it is important to note that this value may vary depending on the coding scheme used.
nmsurobert

Homework Statement

An optical communication system operating at λ = 1550nm is transmitting pulses at 10 Gb/s. The magnitude of the optical pulses is the same. Calculate the number of photons received within each bit. Assume that the received average optical power is 10 mW.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I calculated the energy per photon Ep = hc/λ ---> 1.28x10-19
then i calculated the energy per bit Eb = Pτ ----> (.01)(10-9) = 10-11

In class we did a similar example where the number of photons = Eb/Ep

I do that here and get 78 million... that seems way too big to me. Can someone explain what I did wrong if its wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
You are given average optical power ... and a bitrate.
You are asked to find the number of photons in just one bit.

Energy per photon = good start.I'd have put 1.28e-16 mJ/photon.
But it may be easier to work out the photons per milliJoule.

Now you need the amount of energy per bit.
You have 10mW = 10mJ/s in 10Gb/s pulse rate ... so how many mJ per Gb? How many mJ per bit?

Further to Simon's comments, it occurs to me that a bit can be a 0 or a 1. Perhaps one of these corresponds to non-transmission of any photons for 0.1 ns.

haruspex said:
Further to Simon's comments, it occurs to me that a bit can be a 0 or a 1. Perhaps one of these corresponds to non-transmission of any photons for 0.1 ns.
I do not think we need to get into the details of the unspecified coding scheme. We are given an "average optical power" which I would interpret as the average power when transmitting an arbitrary bit pattern.

In the real world, we might be using phase encoding, group encoding, scrambling polynomials or other techniques. The value of any particular bit will have little or no correlation with the number of photons received. [I'm not familiar with the encoding techniques for, e.g. 10 gig SONET beyond what google can provide with five minutes of surfing]

Simon Bridge said:
You are given average optical power ... and a bitrate.
You are asked to find the number of photons in just one bit.

Energy per photon = good start.I'd have put 1.28e-16 mJ/photon.
But it may be easier to work out the photons per milliJoule.

Now you need the amount of energy per bit.
You have 10mW = 10mJ/s in 10Gb/s pulse rate ... so how many mJ per Gb? How many mJ per bit?
Ok this is where I'm messing up. He did this in class but now that I'm lookin back at my notes I'm having trouble following it.

haruspex said:
He mentioned this in his example. That's where the 10-9 in my energy per bit came from. But I guess I'm applying it incorrectly.

nmsurobert said:
He mentioned this in his example. That's where the 10-9 in my energy per bit came from. But I guess I'm applying it incorrectly.
It's 10Gbps, not 1Gbps.

nmsurobert said:
Ok this is where I'm messing up. He did this in class but now that I'm lookin back at my notes I'm having trouble following it.
Don't try to copy what's in your notes, just use the maths you already know.
If you have 10 (bagged) carrots per box and 10 bags per box, how many carrots are in each bag?
If you have 10 x per y and 10 z per y, how many x per z?

Likes jbriggs444

What is the significance of the number of photons per bit?

The number of photons per bit is a measure of the amount of light energy required to transmit one bit of information. It is an important factor in determining the efficiency and speed of data transmission in various communication systems.

How is the number of photons per bit determined?

The number of photons per bit is determined by dividing the total number of photons in a given light source by the number of bits of information it carries. This can be calculated using the formula: N = I/hv, where N is the number of photons per bit, I is the intensity of the light source, h is Planck's constant, and v is the frequency of the light.

What is the relationship between the number of photons per bit and signal-to-noise ratio?

The number of photons per bit is directly related to the signal-to-noise ratio in a communication system. As the number of photons per bit increases, the signal-to-noise ratio also increases, leading to a clearer and more reliable transmission of data.

How does the number of photons per bit affect data transfer rate?

The number of photons per bit has a direct impact on the data transfer rate in a communication system. A higher number of photons per bit means more information can be transmitted per unit of time, resulting in a higher data transfer rate. This is why increasing the number of photons per bit is a common method for improving the speed and efficiency of data transmission.

What factors can affect the number of photons per bit?

The number of photons per bit can be affected by various factors such as the intensity and frequency of the light source, as well as the distance between the transmitter and receiver. Other factors like atmospheric conditions and optical components in the system can also impact the number of photons per bit.