Number of points needed to elimatate a plane

In summary, the problem is to eliminate all points on a plane by selecting a point and eliminating all points within a radius that is not an irrational number. At least three points are needed to ensure all points are eliminated, but it is uncertain how the points should be oriented to achieve this.
ehilge

Homework Statement

The goal of the problem is to eliminate all of the points on a plane. This is done by picking a point, and then all of the points of a radius that are not an irrational number (cannot be expressed by a/b, like pi) are eliminated. So for a single point, a set of concentric rings all at radii of irrational numbers would remain. I need to figure out how many points would be selected to eliminate all other points on the entire plane and where those points would be located at.

Homework Equations

none that I know of

The Attempt at a Solution

You would need at least three points (which I will call a, b and c). If there were only two points (a and b), then all of the points on the plane would be eliminated except for the points where the radius away from both a and b is an irrational number. Now, with the introduction of point c, all of the points would be eliminated except for the points where the radius to each point a, b and c, is an irrational number. I'm thinking that this would take care of most of the points but I can't think of a way to ensure that all points on the plane are a rational distance from at least one of the points a, b, or c. Adding more points (d, e, ...) would increase the odds of eliminating every point, but I don't think would ensure that all points were eliminated. So, That means, there either has to be an infinite number of points selected or that the points were infinitely far away from each other, such that the distance between them would be twice the distance of the largest irrational number. But neither of these solutions seem to make much sense to me in the context of the problem.

So, Does anyone have an idea of how the orientation of these points would have to be to eliminate the entire plane? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
By irregular number, you mean rational number?

Office_Shredder said:
By irregular number, you mean rational number?

No, not quite, by irregular number, I mean irrational number. So that rational radii like 1, 3/4, and 1/3 would all be eliminated from the plane. But irrational radii like pi and e are left on the plane.
Sorry, I guess I screwed up some of the terms.

1. What is the meaning of "eliminate a plane" in this context?

"Eliminate a plane" refers to the process of removing a specific plane or surface from a given set of points in a three-dimensional space. This can also be interpreted as finding the minimum number of points needed to define a plane.

2. How is the number of points needed to eliminate a plane determined?

The number of points needed to eliminate a plane is determined by the dimension of the space and the type of plane being considered. For example, in a three-dimensional space, at least three non-collinear points are needed to define a plane, while in a two-dimensional space, only two non-collinear points are needed.

3. Can the number of points needed to eliminate a plane vary?

Yes, the number of points needed to eliminate a plane can vary depending on the specific scenario. For example, if the points are not in general position (i.e. they are collinear or non-coplanar), then more points may be needed to eliminate a plane.

4. What is the significance of determining the number of points needed to eliminate a plane?

Determining the number of points needed to eliminate a plane is important in various fields such as computer graphics, engineering, and mathematics. It allows for the efficient representation and manipulation of three-dimensional objects and can aid in solving geometric problems.

5. Are there any real-world applications of this concept?

Yes, there are several real-world applications of determining the number of points needed to eliminate a plane. For example, in computer aided design (CAD), this concept is used to create and manipulate 3D models. In robotics, it can be used for motion planning and obstacle avoidance. It is also relevant in fields such as architecture, geology, and physics.