Number of possible trees in graph theory

In summary, the conversation is discussing the use of an incidence matrix to find the number of spanning trees in a graph. There is a discrepancy in the results depending on the row that is removed to create a reduced incidence matrix. The conversation also mentions the use of the graph Laplacian and suggests removing the outermost row and column in this case. The person seeking help is also unsure about the meaning and formula for the graph Laplacian.
jaus tail

Homework Statement

upload_2017-12-20_18-24-19.png

Homework Equations

Reduce the matrix to reduced matrix by removing 1 row completely
Number of trees = determinant of [ Ar times ArT ]

The Attempt at a Solution

I removed 4th row to get Ar(reduced matrix)
Then I did Ar times Ar (transpose)
And found it's determinant but I got different answer depending on which row I remove.
Do I randomly remove any row?
Sorry for posting too many homework questions. I have an exam coming up in Feb.

Attachments

• upload_2017-12-20_18-24-19.png
    upload_2017-12-20_18-24-19.png
    3.7 KB · Views: 1,187
Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
Long story short, this looks like a mechanical recipe being misapplied. I don't understand your incidence matrices. Or to the extent I do understand them, then the shoe doesn't fit.

- - - - - -
If you're looking for understanding, I would strongly suggest reading chapter 21 of Thirty Three Miniatures. A free pre-publication draft is a available here:

http://kam.mff.cuni.cz/~matousek/stml-53-matousek-1.pdf

(note to moderators: see referring page under "books" here: http://kam.mff.cuni.cz/~matousek/ )

another place to look is:

http://math.mit.edu/~levine/18.312/alg-comb-lecture-19.pdf- - - -
Mechanically there are a few problems here. Technical nit: you aren't just counting trees, you're counting spanning trees.

In general, a clean way to do this is to lop off the final row and final column of the graph Laplacian. (Via graph isomorphism arguments it ultimately doesn't matter, but doing the outermost components is easiest.) There's a few ways to proceed. Key question: what does the graph Laplacian look like?

You can draw the actual picture associated with your incidence matrix and make the graph Laplacian by hand.

What you currently, in effect, are saying is that ##\mathbf L = \mathbf A \mathbf A^T##. The (un-normalized aka combinatorial) graph Laplacian is supposed to have the ones vector in its nullspace, such that we always have ##\mathbf 1^T \mathbf L \mathbf 1 = 0##.

But in your example ##\mathbf 1 ^T \mathbf L \mathbf 1 = \big(\mathbf 1^T \mathbf A\big)\big( \mathbf A^T \mathbf 1\big) \gt 0##. I.e. the fact that ##\big( \mathbf A^T \mathbf 1\big) \neq \mathbf 0## is a red flag that something is amiss with your incidence matrix and/or how you're interpreting / applying it.

Likes jaus tail
In solved examples all incidence matrix had sum of elements in each columns as 0. So I think there must be a typo in the question.
Do you lop off one row and one column?
Book says to remove only one row to get reduced incidence matrix. It doesn't mention removing any column.

It depends on whether you're working directly with ##\mathbf L## or instead the incidence matrix ##\mathbf A##. If ##\mathbf L##, then remove outer most row and column. If working directly with a conforming incidence matrix, then if you work through the multiplications, you'll see just removing the bottom row of the incidence matrix is equivalent.

Likes jaus tail
What is L? The notes only have A as incidence matrix and Ar as reduced incidence matrix and then there are formula of number of graphs and number of twigs/branches.
Is there some formula of L? What does L mean?

##\mathbf L## is the 'regular', aka 'combinatorial' aka 'unnormalized' graph Lapalacian. It is generally defined as the degree matrix minus the adjacency matrix. If your graph is undirected/ symmetric, you generally have a relation to incidence matrix ##\mathbf A## in the form of ##\mathbf L = \mathbf {AA}^T## (or ##\mathbf A^T \mathbf A## depnding on how you set it up.)

check out

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laplacian_matrix

They also fully define it in the links I gave to a pdf from MIT and a pdf called Thirty Three Miniatures.

(note in general ##\mathbf A## tends to refer to an adjacency matrix, not the incidence matrix, but that's a minor convention.)

The graph Laplacian in some sense is the end-game for looking at interesting stuff in graphs. Your incidence matrix is just a pre-cursor. (Nothing wrong with working directly with the precursor though.)

Likes jaus tail

What is the definition of "number of possible trees" in graph theory?

The number of possible trees in graph theory refers to the total number of different tree structures that can be formed from a given set of vertices and edges in a graph. A tree is a type of graph that has no cycles, meaning that there is only one unique path between any two vertices.

How is the number of possible trees calculated in graph theory?

The number of possible trees can be calculated using mathematical formulas and algorithms, such as the Cayley's formula for labeled trees or the Prüfer sequence for unlabeled trees. These methods take into account the number of vertices and edges in the graph to determine the total number of possible tree structures.

Are there any limitations to calculating the number of possible trees in a graph?

Yes, there are limitations to calculating the number of possible trees in a graph. The calculation becomes increasingly complex as the number of vertices and edges in the graph increases. Additionally, for large graphs, it may not be feasible to calculate the exact number of possible trees and approximations may be used instead.

What is the significance of knowing the number of possible trees in graph theory?

Knowing the number of possible trees in graph theory can provide insights into the structure and complexity of a graph. It can also help in problem-solving and decision-making processes in various fields such as computer science, biology, and social sciences. Additionally, the number of possible trees can be used as a measure of diversity and complexity in ecological studies.

Are there any real-world applications of the concept of number of possible trees in graph theory?

Yes, there are many real-world applications of the concept of number of possible trees in graph theory. Some examples include network analysis in social sciences, decision-making in computer science, and evolutionary studies in biology. In addition, the concept of number of possible trees is also used in data compression algorithms and in the design of efficient communication networks.