Number of ways some numbers can be summed to form another number

In summary, the conversation is about the difficulty of solving a math problem involving combining numbers to form a specific sum. The speaker struggles with organizing the calculations and keeping track of all the details, and is seeking advice on how to improve their problem-solving skills. They also clarify that by "combining" they mean "summing" the numbers.
Aja
How many ways can the numbers 1, 2, 5, 10, 20, 50, and 100 be combined to form the number 200?

This is a good example of the sort of problem that gives me trouble. Usually, as here, I have a few ideas but find it difficult to proceed because I get hung up on organizing the calculations to be done and on actually calculating. I lose sight of the larger problem and forget what I accomplished up till the point of my exhaustion.

Here it looks like the solution lies in grouping these numbers into all possible subgroups (.e.g.: 2, 5; 2, 5, 50, etc.).

To me the intuitively obvious way to go about this is to proceed iteratively, ordering the subgroups from those with the fewest to the most numbers (i.e., one number, two numbers, etc.). Even this simple step is a challenge. It is tedious to write out all the possibilities, and it seems presumptuous to suppose that the numbers in every subgroup sum to 200. This process as I approach it requires a lot of mental overhead, would require more than any human being could summon if this were a larger problem.

Setting these concerns aside, the second phase of the problem seems to be a matter of substituting, for each number in each subgroup, the numbers and combinations of the numbers in the original list that are their factors.

There is just too much going on here, too many things to keep in my head all at once. This sort of problem is manageable for me only if I reduce it to a simpler form with fewer numbers, less to consider. It is only easy when I consider subgroups of two numbers. When I think about three--say, one, two, and five--things become fuzzy. Here I again think iteratively:

"Three numbers, so we have three subgroups of one number: 1, 2, and 5. Err, then I seem to be overcounting." Next I try considering the largest number in the subgroup as a sort of anchor, relative to which the other two numbers accumulate with the combinations: "Okay, so how many times can one and two--well, three, go into 200--if part of the sum will be some multiple of 5? Wait, the number of ones doesn't have to equal the number of twos. I could have, say, 5 + 2(97) + 1. Wow, there are really a lot of possibilities..." And that's where I throw in the towel.

Besides help with this particular math problem, does anyone have advice for dealing with the more important mental one? For those who find this problem easy, what is solving it like for you? Do you automatically form a mental picture of its structure? Do you have a large working memory? Is there some strategy you use to keep all the details in your mind or is this just an innate ability?

Thanks. I hope somebody can shed light not just on the math here but on what trips me up. I'd like to learn math, but anytime I run into heavy calculation problems I must give up half a year or accept defeat. Very discouraging.

Physics news on Phys.org
What are the rules for combining the numbers; i.e., what do you mean by "combined" in your first sentence?

greg1313 said:
What are the rules for combining the numbers; i.e., what do you mean by "combined" in your first sentence?

Sorry. I mean "summed," which is probably what I should have said. Hopefully that's unambiguous.

1. What is the definition of "Number of ways some numbers can be summed to form another number"?

The "Number of ways some numbers can be summed to form another number" refers to the total number of unique combinations of numbers that can be added together to equal a given target number.

2. How is the number of ways calculated?

The number of ways is calculated using mathematical principles such as permutations and combinations. It also takes into account the order of the numbers and whether or not repetitions are allowed.

3. Can the number of ways change depending on the numbers involved?

Yes, the number of ways can vary based on the specific numbers involved. For example, a smaller target number will likely have fewer ways to be summed compared to a larger target number.

4. What is the significance of knowing the number of ways some numbers can be summed?

Knowing the number of ways can have practical applications in areas such as probability and statistics. It can also help in problem-solving and decision-making in various fields such as finance, economics, and computer science.

5. Are there any limitations or restrictions to calculating the number of ways?

Yes, there may be limitations or restrictions depending on the specific problem or scenario. For example, some problems may only allow for positive integers to be used in the sum, while others may have a limit on the total number of numbers that can be included in the sum.