Numbers drawn from a gaussian

In summary, the distribution of the new set of numbers {f(x1),f(x2),f(x3),...} depends on the function f(x) applied to the set of numbers {x1,x2,x3,...} drawn from a normal distribution. If f is affine, the new set will be normally distributed, but for general functions it may not be. To learn more about this, one can look up the "transformation of normal random variable" and find resources such as www.math.uiuc.edu/~r-ash/Stat/StatLec1-5.pdf.
aaaa202
Say I draw a set of numbers {x1,x2,x3,...} from a normal distribution and apply a function f(x) to these.
Will the new set of numbers {f(x1),f(x2),f(x3),...} be gaussianly distributed? I guess it depends on f(x), since for example f(x)=x would certainly mean that the new set is gaussianly distributed, whereas for general f(x) I am not sure. Where can I read about the general theory of this?

Physics news on Phys.org
aaaa202 said:
Say I draw a set of numbers {x1,x2,x3,...} from a normal distribution and apply a function f(x) to these.
Will the new set of numbers {f(x1),f(x2),f(x3),...} be gaussianly distributed? I guess it depends on f(x), since for example f(x)=x would certainly mean that the new set is gaussianly distributed, whereas for general f(x) I am not sure. Where can I read about the general theory of this?
If f is affine, the new set will be normally distributed. For general functions not necessarily. For example if f(x)=x², you get a χ2 distribution.
Look for "transformation of normal random variable".

For example: www.math.uiuc.edu/~r-ash/Stat/StatLec1-5.pdf

One way to see that the answer depends on the function f(x) is to pick a function that takes only values in an interval that is a proper subset of the real numbers.

Since a Gaussian can have any real number as its value, this shows that with positive probability a Gaussian random variable will take a value that f(x) does not take. Hence the function f applied to a Gaussian r.v. cannot have a Gaussian distribution in this case. For example,

f(x) = x2

as above, which of course takes only nonnegative values. Or alternatively

f(x) = 1 - 1/(x2 + 1),

which takes values only in the half-open interval [0, 1).

1. What is a gaussian distribution?

A gaussian distribution, also known as a normal distribution, is a statistical probability distribution that is commonly used in science and statistics. It is a bell-shaped curve that describes the distribution of a continuous random variable. It is characterized by its mean and standard deviation, which determine the shape and spread of the curve.

2. How are numbers drawn from a gaussian distribution?

Numbers are drawn from a gaussian distribution using a random number generator. This generator produces numbers that follow a gaussian distribution with a specified mean and standard deviation. The numbers are drawn independently, meaning that each number is not influenced by the previous one.

3. What are some real-life examples of numbers drawn from a gaussian distribution?

There are many real-life examples of numbers drawn from a gaussian distribution, as it is a very common distribution in nature. Some examples include the height and weight of individuals in a population, IQ scores, and the measurement of errors in scientific experiments.

4. How is a gaussian distribution useful in science?

A gaussian distribution is useful in science because it allows us to make predictions and draw conclusions about a population based on a sample. It also allows us to determine the likelihood of a certain event occurring, which can be useful in decision making and risk assessment.

5. Can numbers drawn from a gaussian distribution be skewed?

Yes, numbers drawn from a gaussian distribution can be skewed. Skewness refers to a deviation from the symmetrical bell shape of the curve. A positive skewness means that the tail of the curve is longer on the right side, while a negative skewness means that the tail is longer on the left side. Skewness can occur in a gaussian distribution if the data contains outliers or if the sample size is small.