Numerical integration - Gauss Lobatto

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of Gauss Lobatto seven points to approximate any integral on the interval [a,b]. The relevant points and weights have been found for the interval [-1,1], but a linear transformation is needed to adjust them for the original interval. The suggestion is to convert the integral to a different form, apply Gauss-Lobatto, and then invert the transformation to get the correct formula.
Sofie RK

Homework Statement

I need calculate the points (##x_i##) and weights (##w_i##) with Gauss Lobatto seven points on the interval [a,b]. With the points and the weights I am going to approximate any integral at this interval.

Homework Equations

I have found the relevant points and weights at the interval [-1,1] using tables etc (https://www.math.ntnu.no/emner/TMA4125/2019v/notater/tabell_gauss.pdf)

The Attempt at a Solution

If I could adjust ##x_i## and ##w_i## from the interval [-1,1] to [a,b] with a linear transformation, I think the problem would be solved. But I have only found the values, and can't find a general formula for ##x_i## and ##w_i##.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Sofie RK said:

Homework Statement

I need calculate the points (##x_i##) and weights (##w_i##) with Gauss Lobatto seven points on the interval [a,b]. With the points and the weights I am going to approximate any integral at this interval.

Homework Equations

I have found the relevant points and weights at the interval [-1,1] using tables etc (https://www.math.ntnu.no/emner/TMA4125/2019v/notater/tabell_gauss.pdf)

The Attempt at a Solution

If I could adjust ##x_i## and ##w_i## from the interval [-1,1] to [a,b] with a linear transformation, I think the problem would be solved. But I have only found the values, and can't find a general formula for ##x_i## and ##w_i##.

Thanks

Convert your integral ##\int_a^b f(x) \, dx## into ##\int_{-1}^1 c f(r+cy) \, dy##. Apply Gauss-Lobato to the latter, then invert the transformation to get the correct formula for your original problem.

1. What is numerical integration?

Numerical integration is a method used to approximate the definite integral of a function by dividing the interval of integration into smaller subintervals and approximating the area under the curve using various mathematical techniques.

2. What is Gauss Lobatto integration?

Gauss Lobatto integration is a numerical integration method that uses the Gauss-Lobatto quadrature rule to approximate the integral of a function. It involves using a weighted sum of function values at specific points within the interval of integration to approximate the area under the curve.

3. How does Gauss Lobatto integration differ from other numerical integration methods?

Gauss Lobatto integration differs from other numerical integration methods in that it uses a different set of points within the interval of integration to approximate the integral. These points are chosen to minimize the error in the approximation, resulting in a more accurate result compared to other methods.

4. What are the advantages of using Gauss Lobatto integration?

Some advantages of using Gauss Lobatto integration include its high accuracy, especially for functions with singularities or discontinuities, and its ability to handle a wide range of integrands. It is also relatively easy to implement and has a fast convergence rate.

5. In what applications is Gauss Lobatto integration commonly used?

Gauss Lobatto integration is commonly used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics, where numerical integration is required to solve problems and analyze data. It is also frequently used in numerical analysis and scientific computing.