O Brother, Where Art Thou? film analysis

BillTre
Science Advisor
Gold Member
O Brother, Where Art Thou is one of my favorite movies.
I always knew it was loosely based on the Odessey because it says so at the beginning, but the guy in this reaction video makes way more connections between the two then I would have ever thought of. I was amazed.

Some comments on youtube were also informative.

Likes PeroK
Science news on Phys.org
Guy with heavily-tattooed arms: "I haven't read the Odyssey in a while."
Girl with vacant look in her eyes: "I should probably read the Odyssey".

Girl with vacant look in her eyes: "Is he the Oracle?". The original Oracle was a priestess.
Guy with heavily-tattooed arms: "He's father Tiresias ..." And explains who Tiresias is.

Priceless!

I haven't read the Odyssey in probably 50+ years.

BillTre said:
O Brother, Where Art Thou is one of my favorite movies.
I always knew it was loosely based on the Odessey because it says so at the beginning, but the guy in this reaction video makes way more connections between the two then I would have ever thought of. I was amazed.

Some comments on youtube were also informative.

I thought the film was absolutely nuts!
Not quite “Big Fish” nuts, or “Eraser Head” nuts (a different level) but certainly out there.
I think I need to watch it again before commenting further as it has been a while since I have seen it.

(whisper-yelling)
DO! NOT! SEEK! THE TREASURE!!!

Andy Resnick said:
(whisper-yelling)
DO! NOT! SEEK! THE TREASURE!!!
I don't know what that means. Hint?

It's a line from the film- John Tuturro's character is trying to warn George Clooney's character while sitting in a movie theater.

Likes pinball1970 and BillTre

What are the main themes of "O Brother, Where Art Thou?"

The film explores several themes such as the quest for freedom, the nature of fate, and the search for redemption. It also delves into the impact of the Great Depression on American society, the influence of music in cultural expression, and the transformation of the main characters as they journey through various trials.

How does the film relate to Homer's Odyssey?

"O Brother, Where Art Thou?" is loosely based on Homer's Odyssey. The protagonist, Ulysses Everett McGill, mirrors Odysseus in his cleverness and desire to return home. Other parallels include the trio's encounters with sirens, a cyclops-like figure in the form of a one-eyed Bible salesman, and themes of temptation and redemption.

What role does music play in the film?

Music is a central element of the film, influencing the plot and providing cultural context. It helps in setting the period atmosphere of the American South during the Great Depression and serves as a means of expression for the characters' struggles and aspirations. The soundtrack, which won several awards, includes folk, gospel, and bluegrass music, highlighting the rich musical heritage of the region.

Can you discuss the significance of the film's setting and time period?

The setting during the Great Depression in the rural American South is crucial as it shapes the characters' experiences and the story's progression. This period was marked by economic hardship, which is reflected in the characters' desperate circumstances and the societal issues they encounter, such as poverty, criminality, and racial segregation.

How does the film use symbolism and allegory?

"O Brother, Where Art Thou?" uses various symbols and allegories to enrich its narrative. The river, for example, symbolizes both literal and metaphorical cleansing for the characters. The film also incorporates Christian allegorical elements, such as seeking redemption and the characters' baptism, which signifies their transformation and renewal.