Object brought to a stop in a distance of 1 mm?

• Thread starter Sarah0001
  • Start date
In summary, an egg's velocity is decreased by 1/10th of its initial velocity when it comes to a stop in a distance of 1mm from the ground.
Sarah0001
Homework Statement
An egg is dropped at rest from a tree
c) an egg strikes the ground and is brought to a stop in a distance
of 1 mm. Assuming a mass of 20 g for the egg calculate the force
required. (You may assume a constant braking force).

I am confused on the visual picture of what is happening, when the is 'brought to a stop in a distance of 1 mm' from the moment it strikes the ground.
Relevant Equations
Know velocity of egg when it reaches the ground is 19.79 m/s Know
can use suvat or energy conservation 1/2mv^2=Fd
s=1 *10^-3 v^2 = u^2 + 2as a = v^2 - u^2 / 2*s = - 195 822.05 m/s^2
u=19.79 m/s F= 20*10^-3 *195 822.05 = 4000 N (1 s.f)
v=0
a=?or 1/2mv^2=Fd ----> F= mv^2/2d = 4000 (1 s.f)With either method, I am still confused on the visual picture of what is happening, when the egg is 'brought to a stop in a distance of 1 mm'. I have a few ideas: Does this mean that the egg bounces from the ground with initial velocity 19.79 m/s to zero at 1 mm off the ground? Or does it mean the egg possibly deforms upon hitting the ground? Or the ground deforms very slightly so the egg moves a distance of 1mm upon striking it? I'm quite confused at what I'm supposed to picture here.

Physics news on Phys.org
You know the initial velocity of the egg when it hits the ground. You know that it comes to a stop, so you know the final velocity. You know that this all happens over a distance of 1mm. You should be able to use one of the kinematical equations to find the acceleration (hint: it's the one with the square of the velocities).

Once you know acceleration a, you can find the force exerted on the egg since you know its mass.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
You know the initial velocity of the egg when it hits the ground. You know that it comes to a stop, so you know the final velocity. You know that this all happens over a distance of 1mm. You should be able to use one of the kinematical equations to find the acceleration (hint: it's the one with the square of the velocities).

Once you know acceleration a, you can find the force exerted on the egg since you know its mass.

Zz.
yes..That's exactly what I did. My question is what is happening, when the egg is 'brought to a stop in a distance of 1 mm' when it hits the ground. What is the motion like then? Does it rebound, does the ground deform very slightly?

Sarah0001 said:
does the ground deform very slightly?
Yes. In practice, there would be a bit of bounce, but that is after the egg has come (instantaneously) to rest, so is irrelevant. The egg may also deform a little. Which deforms the more depends on the ground surface.

Likes neilparker62 and Sarah0001
haruspex said:
The egg may also deform a little.
Putting it mildy I would say :wink:

An alternate approach would be to calculate the time from ## v_{av}Δt=0.001 ##. Then ## F=\frac{Δp}{Δt} ##

I wouldn't overthink it just because of this problem. The problem has been greatly simplified so that you can just plug in some numbers and get an answer using the equations of the class. The reality of what would happen to the egg is very complicated. It depends on the properties of the shell, the egg yolk, and the rest of the egg.

Related to Object brought to a stop in a distance of 1 mm?

1. What is the meaning of "object brought to a stop"?

When an object is brought to a stop, it means that it was moving and then came to a complete halt.

2. How is the distance of 1 mm measured?

The distance of 1 mm is typically measured using a ruler or other measuring tool with millimeter markings.

3. Can an object be brought to a stop in a distance other than 1 mm?

Yes, an object can be brought to a stop in a distance other than 1 mm. The distance will depend on factors such as the initial speed and the force applied to bring the object to a stop.

4. What is the significance of an object being brought to a stop in a distance of 1 mm?

The significance of an object being brought to a stop in a distance of 1 mm depends on the context. It could be an indication of a short braking distance or a small displacement in a physics experiment, for example.

5. How is the distance of 1 mm related to the object's speed?

The distance of 1 mm is not directly related to the object's speed. However, the object's speed will affect the distance it takes to come to a stop, with higher speeds typically resulting in longer stopping distances.