Object falling through highly compressed air question

In summary: I don't know the exact viscosity (it is, of course, available or can be obtained from a corresponding states plot). If the body were a sphere, you could use the drag coefficient vs Reynolds number for a sphere.Terminal velocity is ((2mg)/(ρAC))mass, gravity/acceleration, ρ density of fluid, Area and C=drag coefficientSo 6000 psi is about 400 times the density of atmosphere at sea level, so the anvil falls at around 1/400th the speed. This formula doesn't take into account the buoyancy of the falling object. If it is low density and immune to compression by the fluid, eventually its weight reduces
Danimal
If you had a tube a couple of miles long filled with very compressed air, say 6,000 PSI, would an object you dropped in it fall very slowly? Even a heavy object like an anvil, how long would it take to drop?

Physics news on Phys.org
Terminal velocity is ((2mg)/(ρAC))
mass, gravity/acceleration, ρ density of fluid, Area and C=drag coefficient

So 6000 psi is about 400 times the density of atmosphere at sea level, so the anvil falls at around 1/400th the speed. This formula doesn't take into account the buoyancy of the falling object. If it is low density and immune to compression by the fluid, eventually its weight reduces to zero and it doesn't fall at all. Hence I suspect the mg part of the equation (which equates to force in a vacuum) should be converted to weight, which already has buoyancy worked in.
So 2f/(ρAC) where f is weight, is how I would express it.

• Skeptical
Likes jbriggs444 and jim mcnamara
Danimal said:
Even a heavy object like an anvil, how long would it take to drop?
Welcome to PF.

I could ask a similar question.
At what air pressure will an iron anvil float with neutral buoyancy ?
When the air has the same density as steel; 7.8 g/cc = 7800 kg/m3.

At sea level, air pressure is 14.7 psi, and the density is 1.225 kg/m3.
7800 / 1.225 = 6367.3 atm.
6367.3 * 14.7 psi = 93600. psi.

Likes jim mcnamara
Another way to look at it is that at 6000 psi, air has a density of about 500 kg/m^3, so about 1/2 the density of water. So you can get a rough idea by asking how fast it will fall in water. An iron anvil will certainly fall in water, but much more slowly than in air. You can calculate how fast with the formula in Post #2. It is estimated that the Titanic took about 5 minutes to fall the 13,000 feet to the ocean floor, which works out to about 30 miles/hour.

phyzguy said:
Another way to look at it is that at 6000 psi, air has a density of about 500 kg/m^3, so about 1/2 the density of water. So you can get a rough idea by asking how fast it will fall in water. An iron anvil will certainly fall in water, but much more slowly than in air. You can calculate how fast with the formula in Post #2. It is estimated that the Titanic took about 5 minutes to fall the 13,000 feet to the ocean floor, which works out to about 30 miles/hour.
What's the viscosity of air at 6000 psi, and how does that come in for the drag?

Likes jbriggs444
Chestermiller said:
What's the viscosity of air at 6000 psi, and how does that come in for the drag?
Good question. If I understand correctly, the viscosity of air, even at 6000 psi, is approximately 50X less than the viscosity of water. So I think you are saying that my analogy with water is false, and an object will fall a lot faster through 6000psi air than through water. Is that correct? How do I take the viscosity into account when calculating the drag force?

phyzguy said:
Good question. If I understand correctly, the viscosity of air, even at 6000 psi, is approximately 50X less than the viscosity of water. So I think you are saying that my analogy with water is false, and an object will fall a lot faster through 6000psi air than through water. Is that correct? How do I take the viscosity into account when calculating the drag force?
I don't know the exact viscosity (it is, of course, available or can be obtained from a corresponding states plot). If the body were a sphere, you could use the drag coefficient vs Reynolds number for a sphere.

Likes vanhees71
Halc said:
Terminal velocity is ((2mg)/(ρAC))
mass, gravity/acceleration, ρ density of fluid, Area and C=drag coefficient

So 6000 psi is about 400 times the density of atmosphere at sea level, so the anvil falls at around 1/400th the speed. This formula doesn't take into account the buoyancy of the falling object. If it is low density and immune to compression by the fluid, eventually its weight reduces to zero and it doesn't fall at all. Hence I suspect the mg part of the equation (which equates to force in a vacuum) should be converted to weight, which already has buoyancy worked in.
So 2f/(ρAC) where f is weight, is how I would express it.
That formula makes terminal velocity inversely proportional to fluid density. But if you look at an energy analysis and consider the energy imparted to the column of air displaced in one unit of time then if you fall twice as fast...

You displace twice the mass of air and impart twice the velocity, leading to eight times the energy
You fall twice as far.

So your energy expended per unit fall scales as the square of velocity.

Meanwhile, if you halve the density, the column masses half as much and the energy imparted per unit fall is halved.

So the energy expended per unit fall scales directly with the density.

Since the energy available per unit fall is fixed for a given mg, you'd expect terminal velocity to scale inversely with the square root of density.

And indeed, after working the back of the envelope, I visit Wikipedia and see:
$$\displaystyle V_{t}={\sqrt {\frac {2mg}{\rho AC_{d}}}}$$

Likes Halc
Indeed, I forgot the square root part. And I was looking right at it.

The formula you quote (and which I should have quoted) still doesn't take buoyancy into account, as described in my post. Terminal velocity of a helium balloon would be downward, not upward, according to that formula.

Likes jbriggs444
Wow, thank you everybody, this forum is a goldmine!

1. How does the density of the air affect the speed of an object falling through highly compressed air?

The density of the air has a significant impact on the speed of an object falling through highly compressed air. As the air becomes more compressed, its density increases, which creates more resistance against the falling object. This resistance, also known as air resistance, slows down the object and causes it to fall at a slower speed.

2. What factors can affect the acceleration of an object falling through highly compressed air?

The acceleration of an object falling through highly compressed air can be affected by several factors. These include the mass and shape of the object, the density and viscosity of the air, and the force of gravity. The more massive the object, the faster it will accelerate due to the force of gravity. Objects with a larger surface area or streamlined shape will experience less air resistance and therefore accelerate faster.

3. How does the temperature of the air impact the falling object?

The temperature of the air has a minor effect on the speed of an object falling through highly compressed air. As the air becomes colder, it becomes denser, which can slightly increase the amount of air resistance the object experiences. However, this effect is minimal compared to other factors such as the mass and shape of the object.

4. Can the shape of the falling object affect its speed through highly compressed air?

Yes, the shape of the falling object can have a significant impact on its speed through highly compressed air. Objects with a streamlined shape, such as a bullet, will experience less air resistance and therefore fall at a faster speed compared to objects with a larger surface area, such as a feather. This is because the streamlined shape allows the air to flow smoothly around the object, reducing the amount of resistance.

5. How does the air pressure affect the falling object?

The air pressure plays a crucial role in the speed of an object falling through highly compressed air. As the air becomes more compressed, the air pressure increases, which creates more resistance against the falling object. This resistance slows down the object and can even cause it to reach a terminal velocity, where the force of gravity is equal to the force of air resistance, resulting in a constant falling speed.