Object Height In a Plane Mirror

In summary, the problem involves finding the height of a tree that is 20.0 m away from a plane mirror, given that the image of the tree just covers the length of the mirror when it is held 40.0 cm from the eye. Using the principle of "similar triangles" and drawing a correct diagram, the height of the tree can be determined.
rmcgovern

Homework Statement

The image of a tree just covers the length of a plane mirror 3.80 cm tall when the mirror is held 40.0 cm from the eye. The tree is 20.0 m from the mirror. What is the height of the tree?

Homework Equations

m=y'/y, s=s'=20m (from problem statement)

The Attempt at a Solution

At first I simply thought the height of the image in the plane mirror is equal to the height of the object, this however is incorrect. Where I am puzzled is how to factor in the distance of the observer from the mirror, and how the object height can be different from the image height when lateral magnification in a plane mirror=1. Any suggestions on how to begin this problem are greatly appreciated, geometric optics are proving to be quite difficult for me to grasp.

Physics news on Phys.org
how the object height can be different from the image height when lateral magnification in a plane mirror=1.

There is no substitute for actually going and looking in a mirror! Look at the top edge of the mirror. I bet you can see an image of the ceiling above and behind you. You try this outdoors you might even be able to see the sky reflected in the mirror. How high is the sky yet its image fits in the mirror :-)

Joking aside... Draw the set up with the tree as described in the problem. Draw a ray of light from the top of the tree to your eye via the mirror. Behind the mirror draw an image of the tree and a dotted line to your eye.

To answer the question apply the principle of "similar triangles".

If you get stuck post your drawing.

Thanks for your help! A correctly drawn diagram led me right to the solution.

Related to Object Height In a Plane Mirror

1. What is the object height in a plane mirror?

The object height in a plane mirror refers to the distance between the top and bottom of the object being reflected in the mirror. This distance remains the same as the height of the actual object.

2. Does the object height change when reflected in a plane mirror?

No, the object height remains the same when reflected in a plane mirror. This is because the mirror only produces a virtual image, which does not physically exist.

3. How is the object height related to the image height in a plane mirror?

The object height and image height are equal in a plane mirror. This is because the image is a reflection of the object and is the same distance from the mirror as the object itself.

4. Can the object height be greater than the image height in a plane mirror?

No, the object height cannot be greater than the image height in a plane mirror. The image is a reflection of the object and cannot be larger than the object itself.

5. How does the distance between the object and the mirror affect the object height in a plane mirror?

The distance between the object and the mirror does not affect the object height in a plane mirror. As long as the object is in front of the mirror, the object height will remain the same regardless of the distance between them.